Help!! my mx3 died on me

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
arpeed

Help!! my mx3 died on me

Post by arpeed »

I first noticed my check light coming on every once in a while the last couple of weeks. I went to a mechanic and the light wasn't on then so he didnt get any diagnosis. Yesterday my car died on me in the middle of an intersection. I tried to start it but it would just crank. I waited for 5 minutes and it started just enough for me to take it to the curb where it died out again. Started it again but everytime i stepped on the gas, it would sputter then die out again. What could be causing this? Im trying to look for a code reader for my 93 Mx3 GS but could not find any. Anybody know where I could find one?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Help!! my mx3 died on me

Post by Custommx3 »

no need to get a code reader. Sounds like a distributor problem, or your not getting fuel. <p>Whens the last time your fuel filter was checked, and has yuor distributor ever been changed? Cap/Rotor as well?<p>Open your DIAG box with the car off.
Jump a wire from GND(any of them) to TEN<p>turn the car in the ON position (do not start it up) and count the blinks. Theres your codes. refer to the online manual on this site or Mazdamaniac.com for code translations.<p>[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]</p>
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Code reader = Paper Clip<p>Is your car an auto or mtx?<p>[ July 15, 2003: Message edited by: Zoso124 ]</p>
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
arpeed

Post by arpeed »

The distributor is new, replaced it a couple of months ago same with computer chip and spark plug cables. It is a manual transmission.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator

Post by Zoso124 »

How has it been idling? Does it only do this when its hot? What kind of chip did you put in it?
Mike Evans
Gone:
arpeed

Post by arpeed »

A mechanic replaced the chip i think it was the pcm? but he said it was the main computer for the car and it needed to be replaced when I got stalled once not sure. Idling was normal before yesterday, when i got it to start after it stalled, it was sputtering and rpm needle went up and down between 0 and 2, when it went up to 3, i stepped on the accelerator and i could run it for about 20 to 50 feet then it sputtered again and died out. I did this for about a mile until it wouldn't start anymore so i had it towed.
arpeed

Post by arpeed »

The mechanic just told me that the ignition coil was burned out...again. He just replaced this a couple of months ago and it was too hard to look for the part. Any suggestions on where i can order this?
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

Go on car-parts.com and do a search for that part. Hopefully lots of dealers will come up across the USA with that part. You can then call them and have it shipped to you.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
Zoso124
Forum Moderator

Post by Zoso124 »

Since its in built internally in the disty I don't how you could just replace it. Your going to have to replace the whole disty again. Who did you get the chip from? So the car was fine before you changed the chip? You might wanna put it back in and see how the car runs. Hopefully they solder on a socket and gave you the stock prom back.
Mike Evans
Gone:
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Is it only doing this during the day, or early morning too? I wouldn't doubt the heat is getting to your car. What is it today? 115 F??<p>Also, might want to check the oil cap and EGR. I noticed when trying to run my car while adding an oil additive that the engine would not run right without the oil cap being securely affixed.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”