Codes 17 & 24 after KLZE swap

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SimonPK

Codes 17 & 24 after KLZE swap

Post by SimonPK »

after getting everything working pretty well - I drove to work & back today and the following codes came up - 17 & 24 - the engine was working pretty hard going uphill so looking at the reasons for the codes it says 'too rich' or 'too lean'.<p>So is this only to be expected when I use the KLZE with the K8 ecu & vaf?<p>And have I got anything to worry about - like will it damage the engine?<p>Also - I guess the fix is a 2.5 ecu & vaf from a '94 mx-6? (my GS is a '93 version)<p>thanks........!
Tyler17rose

Re: Codes 17 & 24 after KLZE swap

Post by Tyler17rose »

Why not get a KLZE ECU and run it like its supposed to be run. Run the ZE ECU with the JE50 VAF from your 1.8. Lazzie on this board can get em for you i think.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

I know you're right but I've got the stupid emmissions test to get through and I need the EGR to be hooked up which I don't think the KLZE ecu supports!
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

Well if you are going to do it right buy a ZE ecu. It is true that you won't have EGR function that is why you save your stock ecu. Now for a quick fix on the car running poorly get a KL-02 VAF of off a 93-97 Mx6 LS/Probe GT at a junkyard. The k8 ecu(in my opinion runs a curved neck ZE better than a KL ecu does with the 2.5 liter air meter. Akso you may try cleaning the 02 sensors to get rid of the codes.
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

Why not get the ZE ecu and run that. And when the E-test comes around swap over your K8 intake manifold and mach up the EGR and run the K8 ECU. If i ever save enough money to do the swap thats what i'm gona do.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

I'll take my car by the weekend and then decide what to do - its $24 CAD and I'll get a printout of what the gases are.<p>I appreciate your advice and will probably end up buying the proper ZE ecu at some point!<p>thanks
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

If you use the 2.5 mx6 (probe, 626) ecu and 2.5 VAF your car will no longer register left and right o2 sensor errors. I had the exact same problem. I even mistakingly replaced both o2 sensors thinking that would solve the problem - though they were 190k old anyway.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

thanks Tom - I'm going to ring a few local wreckers this afternoon to check out prices,
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

www.car-part.com<p>search for bc yards.... oh and the prices are DEFINETLY negotiable. Good luck.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

I checked with Mazda first of all to see what the parts would be new:<p>$1900 for the ecu & $1100 for the VAF - then plus 14.5% tax = $3435 CAD or US$2500!!! <p>I was surprised when the parts man said he has never sold one - I wonder why?<p>The wreckers are asking for around $350 - $450 CAD for the KL55 ecu + KL-02 VAF - seems ok?
C-MX-DA3

Post by C-MX-DA3 »

i had the same problem i was using the 1.8 vaf with kl-02 ecu, then i went to the junkyard and pick up a 2.5 vaf and the codes disappear except for the egr. my car gets a better gas millege with the 2.5 vaf. but i will be getting the klze ecu later when i get the money.
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

You just need the air sensor, my car runs fine on just the KL-02 air sensor
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

So Lazzyie - you run the KLZE with a KL-02 VAF and the K8 ecu? - if that works ok that'll be worth trying and saving me a bit of money,<p>thanks for the advice

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”