timing belt broke

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
goldsberry1

timing belt broke

Post by goldsberry1 »

well i had a very bad night at the track. my timing belt broke at over 8 grand duing the burnout! i just wasnt paying attention. im not sure if i realy hurt anythng though. the car is still at the track. i just couldnt believe i did that. does anyone know what kind of damage i could have done? it wasnt locked up,so it didnt sieze on me. i feel so bad about it. like i hurt my friend or somthing.( i know its just a car) i wont be able to open it up for six months. so that isnt going to be fun. :mad:
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
Gro Harlem

Re: timing belt broke

Post by Gro Harlem »

besides the negative effects of revving your engine past the redline, you didn't do any damage by breaking the timing belt. Our engines are non-interferance
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
besides the negative effects of revving your engine past the redline, you didn't do any damage by breaking the timing belt. Our engines are non-interferance<hr></blockquote><p>really??<p>i cant remember where but i think i read someone on the board bent their valves because their timing belt snapped or maybe it was somewhere else. :shrug:
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

Man I feel your pain, sorry to hear what happened. I kinda felt the same way when I blew my 1.8 engine. Diddn't have the car for 3 months.
But like GroHarlem said, everything should be fine. You just need to put in the new timing belt, maybe the tensioner too, and check the marks.
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
xXx_OTEP_xXx

Post by xXx_OTEP_xXx »

cant open it up for 6 months? sure u can :p
Sold my 95 RS "Little Peanut" but she will never be forgotten. :(
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

well ill be half the world away so it would be hard to get in the engine in less than 12 hours, with all the packing i have to do. well while im over ther im going to get a set of ze heads, and a ms8 im. oh well, at least i wont have to fight the timing belt off. i just got back from picking it up. i want to say thanks to everyone on this board that helped me. my car was running good before it broke. :) :(
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by goldy1:
...my timing belt broke at over 8 grand duing the burnout! <hr></blockquote><p>
You got exactly what you deserved. That big red zone is there for a reason :roll: .
Spida

Post by Spida »

What about your rev limiter? Doesn’t that go off when you were at 8000? I have once been in the high rev when the tires lost grip it hit 8 and bounced back.
More to the point you could bend a valve if your cam had a valve stuck in the full open position when the piston hit TDC. If that did happen the valve could have broken and parts would have scratched up the combustion chamber. Similar thing happened to my dad's drag camaro and we ended up replacing the engine.
If no damage was done getting the timing covers off is a real ***** because you have to take off every pulley and the power steering pump to get at it. It’s next to impossible to remove with out breaking the part that tucks under the crank pulley with out taking the pulley off and you need to remove the engine to get the puller in there.
Yeah I know you didn’t want to hear that but on the plus side if your like me and feel that part is not needed you can cut just behind the pulley and break off the non-needed part and it comes out easily.
Well good luck I hope you didn’t do any major damage.
By the way I hate it when people say people deserve what they got in situations like this. You can break your timing belt at any rpm and it obviously had some cracks in it cause 8000 isnt really all that high of revs.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Spida:
What about your rev limiter? Doesn’t that go off when you were at 8000? I have once been in the high rev when the tires lost grip it hit 8 and bounced back.
More to the point you could bend a valve if your cam had a valve stuck in the full open position when the piston hit TDC. If that did happen the valve could have broken and parts would have scratched up the combustion chamber. Similar thing happened to my dad's drag camaro and we ended up replacing the engine.
If no damage was done getting the timing covers off is a real ***** because you have to take off every pulley and the power steering pump to get at it. It’s next to impossible to remove with out breaking the part that tucks under the crank pulley with out taking the pulley off and you need to remove the engine to get the puller in there.
Yeah I know you didn’t want to hear that but on the plus side if your like me and feel that part is not needed you can cut just behind the pulley and break off the non-needed part and it comes out easily.
Well good luck I hope you didn’t do any major damage.
By the way I hate it when people say people deserve what they got in situations like this. You can break your timing belt at any rpm and it obviously had some cracks in it cause 8000 isnt really all that high of revs.
<hr></blockquote>
The point made above was that the K series V-6's are non-interference engines....which means we couldn't bend our vavles on our pistons if we tried to.
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

well i made it to japan. today is my first day here. well about the rev limiter. i think that would have been bypassed when i put my MSD ignition in (6a box and 3055 mod). i just wsnt paying attention in the right places. i know, i felt like an idiot when it happened. but i cant change the past. i have seen 2 mx-3's in the first 8 hours of being here. they wer identical to ours besides the steering whel on the wrong side. i hope to make it to a junk yard this weekend.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Does the k8 even have a rev limiter? I didn't think they did
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

Awesome what are you in Japan for? Keep your eye out for a Skyline while you are over there, those are some sweet cars.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
mazdamaniac

Post by mazdamaniac »

All Mazdas have rev limiters.
The rev limit on the MX-3 V6 is 7200 IIRC which would read almost 8000 on the tach because the MX-3 tach isn't linear.
It *might* be possible to bend a valve at high RPMS, but it isn't likely.
Installing an MSD does NOT bybass the rev limiter - you are still using the stock ignition pulse to trigger the MSD.
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

the skylines are every where around here. i have seen dozens of them. i even saw a couple rx-7s and supra's. there are some cars i cant even identify as well as super tiny cars too. like the mitisubishi guppy and some strange looking mini vans.
where would the rev limiter kick in at? i know the tach was pegged & i didnt hear it go off. what about the 3055 transistor? i dont know a whole lot about the electrical side of things. oh well i cant change the past anyway. i am in the military, that is why i am in japan. i hope the let me get my license here. if any one wants me to look for parts for them when i get off base i will try to. just email me. i know i want a set of heads
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

can you get me an LSD transmission? :p
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”