MAF install

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
g3939

MAF install

Post by g3939 »

I have had three different shops run a diagnostic on my car and they all told me that my MAF sensor is bad. A new one is $230 but I need to know how to put the sensor in. Is it as simple as take the old on out, put the new one in or do I have to do some type of adjustment/setting(the computer or the sensor itself) please post replys as soon as possible. I've looked through the manual and the forum but found nothing on installation procedures. PLEASE HELP
harold stephens
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Re: MAF install

Post by Zoso124 »

Unless your MX-3 is a '96 and came from Canada your car has a VAF. How did they diagnosis the problem? Just read the codes? What they get "08" Hows the car running? What are the symptoms? You might wanna try troubleshooting the problem before you blow $230 that most likely won't solve the problem.<p>http://www.mazdamaniac.com/shop_man/f2-152.htm
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
g3939

Post by g3939 »

the check engine light comes on as soon as I start the car. it idles very high too, even when in gear(2300rpm in park or neutral 1100rpm in rev or drive). after about ten or fifteen minutes the C.E. light goes out and the car stalls.and its hard to start again, but if im not at a light it will keep running but won't go past 4500rpms, it just sputters. i have to ease back off the gas for the car to change gears(automatic).
harold stephens
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I thought the 94-95' RS's have MAF's, and the SOHC 1.6's don't.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

I have a 95 RS and I have a mass airflow sensor. If I unplug it I can't even start the car.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

This is the V6 Forum so when I make a statement it usually has nothing to do 4cyl's<p>From what I know all GS "V6" MX-3's have VAF.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
g3939

Post by g3939 »

sorry it took me so long to post the solution but it was the thermostat. It wasn't reading properly causing the car not to burn the gas correctly. Mazda replaced the thermostat and now she runs good again.
harold stephens
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

theres a sensor in the thermostat?? o.0 maybe thats why my car floods out...where is this sensor?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

There is no electrical sensor in the thermostat. Just the bimetallic actuator which opens and closes it.

All MX-3 V6 use a VAF, including the '96 and '97 models. You will not find a K8 with a MAF.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”