GS dont start right

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3_guy

GS dont start right

Post by mx3_guy »

my 93 gs turns over alot before it actually starts, however, it will start every time and run perfectly. i dont think its the battery or starting motor because the engine winds over real fast before starting... the only way the car will start right is if the engine stalls (and the key isnt turned off) then it will start perfect as long as the key is left on... i've tried doing several searches, and i cant seem to find anyone with this problem. could it have anything to do with the fuel injectors, or distributor?? just a thought... anyways, any advice will help, i realy need to get this fixed... thanks alot
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Re: GS dont start right

Post by Zoso124 »

Hard to say what the problem is, Have you ever tried hitting the key for a split second then back off. You should be able to hear the fuel pump working. Do that then see how long it takes to fire up, because the fuel pressure should be there. When was the last time you change your Fuel Filter? A bad ground will make it tougher for the engine to fire also.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Does your engine smoke alot on start up when its cold?? Does it drink alot of oil? If so, then you have the exact problem as me, and I'm willing to bet money it is the valve seals. Well, that is why it smokes alot on start up, and im hoping that the problem with the valve seals is directly causing the enine to take longer to start up. Let me know man, if u have the same symptoms ill let you know if its the valve seals causing it since im going to be getting some new heads soon.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Any updates from you?
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mx3_guy

Post by mx3_guy »

yep, mine has been smoking alot lately too... what color smoke are you getting though?? every now and then im getting blue smoke, only sometimes and on startup like you said... also, mine is drinking a lot of oil too...<p>so if it is the valve seals, how can the problem be fixed?? any ideas??
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Well the valve seals are like 14 bucks a shot, and you need 24 of them, plus labor charges if you dont have a shop to do it yourself!! The parts alone are 336 dollars. I'm considering either buying new heads altogether or just putting up with the problem for now and saving up for a klze. However i did find a kit online somewhere that had all the valve seals and gaskets and stuff for like 200 something.....I dont remember where but its out there.
My Cardomain site
mx3_guy

Post by mx3_guy »

i think you got the right idea, save for a klze... im not up on the whole engine swap thing, but do you have any idea what a full swap would cost??<p>by the way, is your check engine light on??
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

NOpe dude no check engine light for me. If it's on for you then its some totally different problem, probaly a sensor somewhere. A full klze swap would be kind of expensive...ive figured it like this...950 plus shipping for klze at sunsengines.com, shipping for me is $150 so $1100, aftermarket clutch for $300, 2.25-2.5 catback exhaust for $300 at any local exhaust shop, ecu from lazzyie for $250....Maybe $150-200 for miscellanous parts such as new water pump and timing belt, gaskets, etc...Plus maybe $500 or so for installation if you dont have the know how or resources to do it yourself....so that takes you to about $2600 or so. If you want to have a klze that is not running to its potential you can just buy the engine and have it installed with an OEM Probe GT or mx-6 clutch for much cheaper, but who in the world would want to do that? That's like having a pit bull with 2 legs....It's going to look and sound cool but its going to get its *** kicked by all of the little chihuahua's.
My Cardomain site
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

mazdaspeed motor mounts!!! I am only putting this in every thread because I have replaced every single one of my mounts in the last year because the ze eats them :) . You can go to mazdaspeed.net, they are a bit more expensive than Corksport but they don't lie and they only take 2 weeks to get the stuff to you(usually).
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Thanks for the reply man....this may be a good thread for people who need to search in the future...anybody got anymore ideas? You may also want to look into an upgraded spark system. Not sure of the price of them but that may help you pull a few more horsies from your KLZE. Oh and of course you want a Cold air intake system, but that is kind of obvious(well, at least to me).
My Cardomain site

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”