Changing Valve cover ?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Tyler17rose

Changing Valve cover ?

Post by Tyler17rose »

I picked up a extra front valve cover and polished it up to a mirror finish, and now i'm gona put it in. But what do i need to do when doing this? Just put in a new gasket? or should i get some gasket sealent stuff? Anything else to look for or replace?
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
JasonH

Re: Changing Valve cover ?

Post by JasonH »

Check your PCV valve (on top of the valve cover) since you need to remove it from the old cover anyway. If it rattles, it's probably still good. It's cheap to replace, in any case.<p>Yes, you should use sealant on the new gasket. Check the online manual, but I believe it goes on the head side, then replace the gasket, then put the new cover on.<p>Let me know how it goes. I need to replace my gasket soon too. I plan on doing distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs and the gasket all at once.
Spydie

Re: Changing Valve cover ?

Post by Spydie »

No you don't need to use sealant. I've had my valve cover off and on 100 times with the same rubber seal. Check it for cracks. Before you put it back on rub some motor oil on the seal to keep it from drying out and make a better seal, Like on an oil filter. If you excercise care you can reuse over and over.
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”