Resonator tube removed on kl-ze car - bad?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cap4004

Resonator tube removed on kl-ze car - bad?

Post by cap4004 »

Greetings! I have just purchased a '92 MX-3 with a kl-ze :( . The person who sold it to me removed the resonator tube to make room for a new intake. I know the resonator plays a role in the vris, but since I have the ZE I am not sure how significant the change could be. (I am using the 1.8L ECU, which doesn't have the right vris info. for the kl-ze engine.) Could this be hurting my performance? :shrug:
Thanks
1992 MX-3 kl-ze, atx-to-mtx conv.
1993 MX-3 RS atx
pelado

Re: Resonator tube removed on kl-ze car - bad?

Post by pelado »

I seriously doubt that the removal of the resonator tube has had a negative effect on your performance.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Actually I believe that the horn shaped resonantor tube was simply there to contain air so that when a driver went to WOT the vacuum would draw in the air from there to decrease delay. Delay being caused by the the convoluted intake design on K-series engines. How they would draw air through tiny tubes near the hoodline and then route it through tubes to a filter that could restrict even more before. <p>That could cause a few thousandths of delay in the time it would take for the airflow to reach the engine. In order to make up for the delay the air horn/resonantor would contain enough air to feed the engine before the primary charge could arrive. It's just a theory.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

actually he's right. It will make the VRIS run awkwardly if at all. Any change in air flow resinance will affect that system
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Then again, there's my other theory that Everything from the VAF to the TB should be considered a seperate plenum. That is because the VAF functions as a valve in the same manner the TB does. No other air flow sensor acts in this manner which makes the diameter, length, and construction of this connecting tube just as vital as the properties of the plenum and runners.
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

having the wrong ecu affects your performance more than anything, what sort of intake are you using?
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

From what I've seen I don't think the Ford Probe's or MX-6's have the banana tube.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
cap4004

Post by cap4004 »

Thanks. I am using a Weapon-R intake, pulling air from where the air box used to be. (Looks like I could be pulling warm air when I am not moving.)<p>I wish I could change the ECU, but the 2.5L ECU is not compatible with my atx. :confused:
1993 MX-3 RS atx
eunosads

Post by eunosads »

why is it not compatible with your ATX?
- EUNOS 30X -
cap4004

Post by cap4004 »

The MX-3 atx (F4A-EL) relies on mechanical signals to a much greater extent than the atx that came with 2.5L's (GF4A-EL). The trannies must have an ECU used for a car with same or similar tranny. I am considering atx -> mtx to get around this (or I could drop in the other atx, but I hear it has problems just like ours.)
1993 MX-3 RS atx

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”