K&W sealer?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
pbr

K&W sealer?

Post by pbr »

After pressure testing radiator found some signs of moisture when looking into no. 1 cyliner with light. No smoke in exhaust, not water in oil, engine runs ok, went ahead and put in k&w sealer per the instructions, anybody know if this will provide a permanent fix to the small leak as they say? Should I do anything else short of head gaskets?
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Re: K&W sealer?

Post by Zoso124 »

I think K&W block sealer will work fine on an iron block with composite head gaskets, but not an alunimum block with a multi-layered steel gasket, but thats just me. If you think your rear head gasket is leaking your best bet is to replace it.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
pbr

Post by pbr »

it says on the can it will work with aluminum too,If I do the head gasket, how much should I expect to pay, and should I do both heads and the intake manifold at the same time?
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

If I was going to do it. I'd pull the engine and replace the headgasket and the other if I had the cash. While you at it, put on a new water pump and timing belt. I have no idea what you would pay at a Mazda dealer, maybe a grand? :shrug:
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
pbr

Post by pbr »

Ran K&W sealer through cooling system per instructions. Ran car, checked #1 cylinder and saw no moisture, I think this stuff actually works, they say it is a permanent fix and if instructions are followed, no ill effects on rest of cooling system. I understand some manufactures recommend this type of sealer be in the coolant as a norm, for small porosity etc. any comments welcome.
pbr

Post by pbr »

Day two with sealer fix, everything seems to be fine, I understand that some manufactures require a coolant with this sealer included, and some recommend putting this in when replacing headgaskets as an extra measure. Reading manufacturers info indicates this is a permanent fix, what do you all think, should I just monitor the one cylinder that showed moisture and go for it?
pbr

Post by pbr »

Still looking for anyone with experience with K&W block sealer or similar.
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by pbr:
Still looking for anyone with experience with K&W block sealer or similar.<hr></blockquote><p>I think you found somebody: YOU. Sounds like it's working as advertised. I would say if you don't see your coolant level dropping or white smoke from your exhaust, you've got this problem licked. With products like this they either work or they don't and the determining factor is the type and location of the leak. Once this stuff stops the leak it won't come back.
nolimits865

Post by nolimits865 »

I used this stuff on my Toyota pckup had a leak so bad it would empty the radiator out in about 2 minutes it sealed it up and no problems 6 years and 200,000+ miles later still no problem!!!!!!!!!!
pbr

Post by pbr »

Thanks for replies guys, I am a believer. Will say it is important to follow directions exactly from what I have been told.
LinuxRacr

Post by LinuxRacr »

So did it work? I am getting ready to try some on my MP3 (actually the 2.0 came out of a 626, but the same FS-DE). I have a hairline crack in my block right by the thermostat housing. Here is my thread: http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthre ... =123642849
2001 Mazda Protege MP3-Laser Mica Blue
Engine Mods: Mental Addiction 1st Gen Sleeper Turbo System !!/ Pauter Rods/ JE Pistons/ Exedy Mazdaspeed Stage One Organic Clutch
"You're only as fast as the assclown in front of you!"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”