klze shopping list and minor questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions

klze shopping list and minor questions

Post by Guest »

OK i have been doing ALOT of reading through past posts and faqs and have answered most my questions, found some new ones and came up with a shopping list. Heres my list<p>swap parts and prices:<p>ze engine ($1600-$1700CND) osakamotors
sparkplugs ($30CND) corksport
Plug wires ($50-100CND) just a guess
act clutch ($300-400CND) another guess
gaskets (??)
PCV Valve (??)
thermostat (??)
fuel filter (??)
water pump (??)
fluids (??)
belts (??)<p>engine mounts ($400CND) corksport
Intake manifold (??)dont know
bronze oil bushings ($30CND)corksport<p>OK so there is my list, the last three are things that arent going to be important at the swap, unless i need the mounts.<p>OK heres my questions:<p>#1 what is the pcv valve? why do i need a new one?<p>#2 why do I need a new thermostat? is it just the difference between k8 and ze operating temps?<p>#3 Unless I find a ms8 IM I will use the k8 first off, so should I use the k8 ECU with it? I will have the ZE ECU aswell so both are an option.<p>#4 do i really need ze spark plugs or can i just get klde ones?<p>#5 Is there any way that some required parts like, thermostat, pcv valve, and waterpump will come with the engine?<p>#6 where do i get the water pump, pcv, and thermostat? all off klde?<p>7# any help with prices would be great.<p>alright thanks alot guys, keep in mind that I'm new to cars as far as engines go and yes I read most of the klze posts but Im sure everyone here knows there is always 2 or more answers and opinions to any question on this board and it gets confusing!!" :p
Nd4SpdSe

Re: klze shopping list and minor questions

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Looks like im not the only Ontarioian mx-3'er getting a KLZE this year, ill find out monday if im doing it or not<p>Whats the warranty on the KLZE you got quoted?, i called japan Auto and they quoted me $2450 and 30 or was it 60 Day warranty
BTW< dont forget to add the KLZE ECU in your shopping list, along with a stainless clutch line, and there was something else...cant remember<p>? <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>#6 where do i get the water pump, pcv, and thermostat? all off klde? <hr></blockquote><p>KLDE? KLDE is the ASPEC 2.5l, your 1.8l is a K8 i believe<p>
#8 Which ACT clutch is recommended? What if i wanna go Turbo/Super/NOS in the future?<p>#9 Bronze oil bushings?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sureshiit:
OK i have been doing ALOT of reading through past posts and faqs and have answered most my questions, found some new ones and came up with a shopping list. Heres my list<p>swap parts and prices:<p>ze engine ($1600-$1700CND) osakamotors
sparkplugs ($30CND) corksport
Plug wires ($50-100CND) just a guess
act clutch ($300-400CND) another guess
gaskets (??)
PCV Valve (??)
thermostat (??)
fuel filter (??)
water pump (??)
fluids (??)
belts (??)<p>engine mounts ($400CND) corksport
Intake manifold (??)dont know
bronze oil bushings ($30CND)corksport<p>OK so there is my list, the last three are things that arent going to be important at the swap, unless i need the mounts.<p>OK heres my questions:<p>#1 what is the pcv valve? why do i need a new one?<p>#2 why do I need a new thermostat? is it just the difference between k8 and ze operating temps?<p>#3 Unless I find a ms8 IM I will use the k8 first off, so should I use the k8 ECU with it? I will have the ZE ECU aswell so both are an option.<p>#4 do i really need ze spark plugs or can i just get klde ones?<p>#5 Is there any way that some required parts like, thermostat, pcv valve, and waterpump will come with the engine?<p>#6 where do i get the water pump, pcv, and thermostat? all off klde?<p>7# any help with prices would be great.<p>alright thanks alot guys, keep in mind that I'm new to cars as far as engines go and yes I read most of the klze posts but Im sure everyone here knows there is always 2 or more answers and opinions to any question on this board and it gets confusing!!" :p
<hr></blockquote><p>1. PCV= Positive Crankcase Ventilation, There the same for all the K-Series engines. $2.19 at Autozone.<p>2. You don't have to replace the Thermostat, you can just as preventative maintaince. The temp on all the K-Series engine is 180 IIRC. They are $7 or so at Autozone. Buy the one for the PGT for some reason its cheaper and has the tiny steel ball in the top to equalize pressure.<p>3. Your best bet is you use the ZE ecu, if not use the K8, use the millenia style manifold if you can, if not just keep your K8.<p>4. You can use either sparkplugs, I just think the ZE are one heat range lower. $1.99 a piece at Advance.<p>5. All those parts will come on the motor, most spend the extra cash to replace the water pump and timing belt before they put the motor in because its such a b*tch to change them after you get the motor in. "Preventative Maintenance"<p>6. Your local parts store, all those parts are the same on all K-Series engines.<p>7. Are prices are different, call Canadian Tire.<p>8. Stage II<p>9. Bushing made by SRD performance that supposedly helping with shifting since Bronzoil has tiny oil molecules in it.<p>A must: Get new belts, there cheap.<p>If you have the cash: Replace the Tranny fluid with Redline, Mazdaspeed motormounts from CS, Stainless Steel clutch line from CS, Bronzoil bushings. <p>Oh and read every post you can, {ie MX-3 list on Yahoo, Probetalk, and MX-6.com} people get tired of answering the same questions over and over. :shrug:
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Sure, but most people just explain what they changed, not always how and why...and not everyone replaces the same things. Its hard to tell the difference in what NEEDS to be replaced, what SHOULD be replaced, and whats not a bad idea of replacing at that time, especially with limited budjets it would be good to know what needs to be prioritized according to each persons affordability. Just an example, how am i suppose to know (if you wouldnt had just explained it) if the water pump replacement is just a preventative maintenance or maybe you need a bigger/different pump for the ZE?<p>You may know your stuff, but not everyone know everything about cars, especially the techno numbo-jumbo thats stoken here, its almost like chinese for me. Im a nerd man, not a mechanic.<p>one question for you tho, if people (incl you) recommend the Act Stage 2, why did you choose the Clutchmasters Stage III?<p>[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar

Post by Guest »

hey need for speed,<p>Go to osakajdmmotors.com, they are in quebec and have awesome prices. There price for a complete klze, thats with ecu and tranny is 1200USD. So after exchange and shipping its about 1700CND. Check em out for sure. I just looked and there site says all engines are pulled from running cars and tested, but no warranty on any parts or labour required to change faulty parts.<p>oh and the bronze oil bushings are unrelated, just so when i upgrade my engine and stuff my shifter will get tightened up to ease shifting.<p>[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: sureshiit ]</p>
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Well I agree with most of the comments so far. However, as far as what should and what can be replaced is really like guessing for those who do not know what condition your parts are in right now. You should replace everything that has alot of wear. Usually the common worn parts that SHOULD be replaced are clutch, motor mounts, thermo., belts, timing belt, front main seal, rear main seal, plugs, wires, disty. cap and button, and all of the hoses. The reason that you replace these things is that it is much more economical to do during the swap. If you don't know much about cars you probably pay someone to do your auto repair. Meaning that it will cost you much more to change these parts after the swap.
As for what MUST be replaced, all you need is a motor, intake manifold, intake manifold gasket, and an exhaust shop to make the new motor fit the 1.8L pipe. I'm sure that you can either use the 1.8 parts that have to be swapped or the 2.5 parts that should be on the motor when you buy it (as long as it is not stripped in any way). Save your money and don't get the shifter bushings, or upgraded clutch if money is really that tight.
In conclusion I hope that you are having a mechanic do the swap for you. He can tell you what really must be replaced and what can wait after seeing what condition your parts are in. If you know as little about cars as you come across in your post then you probably don't want to try this and mess up a couple G's. It really isn't that hard, but maybe you should spend some more time researching about the motors and the swap, save more money to do a better job with the swap and do it yourself when you feel comfortable.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP

Post by Guest »

thanks for the info man, ya im not sparing any expense, of course im trying to save money but as far as required parts and getting a mechanic to do it thats a priority. Id rather have it done right for 1000, then spend 2000 fixing a ****ty job.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Replace the water pump. They are a common part that seems to go out on most K series motors at some point in time. Remember where its located..
Under the timing belt cover. Spend the 75 bucks and save yourself a HUGE heartache later. <p>Oh the best way to become a mechanic if your a nerd, put down the mouse, and pick up a wrench :) I now I did it. :D <p>Replace those parts thar wear and tear that arent easily changed, I understand your on a budget and some being in school, you cant really give up your car for a while, you will save yourself some hassle, and its ALOT easier with the motor out of the car. If you do it right the 1st time, you wont have to worry about it later.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

same here, my mechanic if doing it for me as well, the fun part is that he's never done a KLZE swap, so I need to do the research for him and get the parts. So its been quite eh learning experience...<p>The main reasons why i want to do a KLZE swap, besides for power, is that i need my timming belt changed, my water pump is going, my Regulator is going and i have leaky valve seals (blue puffs fronthe exause under load)
One last thing for me, EGR/VAF and ECU<p>Now, i know i should get a KLZE ECU, but i would like to be able to pass emissions in 2 years, more likely as a "hotrod" (1984 emission standard), but either way, it needs to pass, otherwise i cant get it re-insured when it comes time to renew it.<p>How my 1.8's regulator is going (what me mechanic told me, which is why i failed emissions on the first time, the second time they tapped it until it started working, and i passed), im guessing that regulator is the EGR that most people here are refering to. <p>Can or Can you not put an EGR on a KLZE running a KLZE ECU? I think no, but i theres along of daning around that subject.<p>and VAF, i dont remember what it is but i read different combinations of 1.8 and 2.5 VAF and ECU's. What is it, what should be done and whats the ideal combination?<p>[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]<p>[ May 23, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Well, in Japan, the EGR is not utilized because their standards arent as high as US Spec. So you will not be able to use the EGR. (maybe it can be tapped, but then again, Im not sure what would happen becuse the ECU doesnt know its there.)<p>As far as ECU/VAF combos. Im unsure on the part # but the KLZE in japan uses the same VAF as a K8. so you can use either ECU with that. <p>that reminds me, I need to find out what VAF the KF-ZE came with. I may need a new one!

Post by Guest »

thanks barry your a big help, so you got the kf-ze?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

hOW ABOUT THE ecu from an ASPEC 2.5l?

Post by Guest »

hey man did you check out osaka, they give you an ecu. But if your talkin so you can use the egr then i suppose that would work.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Yaa I got the KF-ZE. was getting the KLZE, but I got this one CHEAP.<p>Maybe you can get a reprogrammed ECU and keep the EGR. problem is you loose power w/ EGR, but with the ECU looing for it you'll get a CEL.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Hey, for the guys doing the swap..try engineland (enginelandinc.com) they have good prices..I was quoted 1400 CND$ with the ECU..and he told me he can have the ZE with the curve neck IM (MS8)....
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”