temp sensor

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
dennisvs

temp sensor

Post by dennisvs »

The kl-ze got overheated.
a new thermostat is build in and the temp stays ok when driving but at the traffic lights the temp goes up.
I will lower again fast when driving again.
Anyone got the same problem?
what can I do about it?
Are kl-ze drivers using the same radiator or a bigger one?
Cage

Re: temp sensor

Post by Cage »

Looks like your thermostat is not opening at 180 degrees. Follow the driver side radiator coolant hose to the assembly on the engine. There are 3 bolts you have to remove. The thermostat is in there. Replace it then try again. If you really want to see if the thermostat is bad before replacing it, place it in a pan of water and bring the water temp up on the stove ...you will see it open once it reaches the correct temp. if it does not open then its bad or if it opens after the water boils it is going bad.<p>goodluck, <p>Cage<p>[ May 06, 2003: Message edited by: Cage ]</p>
dennisvs

Post by dennisvs »

Hi there Cage,thanks for the reply<p>unfortunately I already tried the thermostat.
I place a new one in it.
The thermostat worked fine.
I'm 100% sure that there is no air in the system.
Seems like the radiator is to small, is that possible?
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

My guess is blocked waterway(s)in the engine. Try a flushing compound - I think they are quite cheap, and its worth a go.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Cage

Post by Cage »

What if he connected the heater hose(s)in wrong ...there is a return and a send hose. If he got them backwards could this make the differance?
I was wondering about this earlyer when I connected mine ...I labled them, but I didn't notate witch one was the return and witch one was the send. hmmmm.<p>Cage
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

That's a real possibility if the cross results in the flow going the wrong way through the rad, because natural convection would be opposing the flow - wouldn't notice when the pump is running fast, but idling at the lights..... It fits!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
dennisvs

Post by dennisvs »

more news about the temp.
When I idle about 700rpm the temp goes up but I found out that when I higher the rpm to 2500/3000 the temp goes down again.
Can that mean that the hoses are going the wrong way or is the waterpump pully to small?
Cage

Post by Cage »

switch the 2 hoses we spoke about.
The heat will go down when you rev the engine, that is normal, because you are now circulating the current of coolant that carries the heat away from the engine to the radiator. It's a piece of cake to switch the hoses. Just make sure the car hads not been running in a good 3 to 4 hours. (so you don't burn yourself). Also remember to release the pressure first or your going to spray coolant everywhere.<p>Go carefully <p>Cage
pelado

Post by pelado »

Make sure the fan(s) come on when needed.<p>Make sure the system does not have air.<p>Check the thermostat to ensure it is installed properly. See online shop manual.<p>You never said how much it's going up, how hot does it get?
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
dennisvs

Post by dennisvs »

thermostat is fine.
I replaced that.
Air is out.
Fan comes on.
Temp when driving is a little past the half.
After driving when I stand still at the stop light than it comes up in almost the red zone.
When I let the engine idle at 2000rpm it goed down again till is a little higher than half
dennisvs

Post by dennisvs »

Hi again, stuppig question maybe but in the k8 manual I see that the thermostat is on the other site of the engine.
The water is running from the right side to the left side of the engine.
For the KL-ZE do I have to cross the coolant tubings?
I've got the feeling that the coolant is running backwards.
Is that possible?
The temparature goes up on 700rpm.
When driving 1500 rpm it goes down again.<p>Please let me know.<p>Thanks
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by leiden:
I've got the feeling that the coolant is running backwards.
Is that possible?
<hr></blockquote><p>Yes, we already said so. We think it is possible that, when the engine is idling, convection through the radiator is opposing the flow throught the engine, instead of assisting it.<p>[ May 11, 2003: Message edited by: IanL ]</p>

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”