Dead in the water

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Coop

Dead in the water

Post by Coop »

Hi folks...this is my first post. I've been popping in and out for a year or so since finding the site, but haven't really had the need for any info until now.
I've browsed through some other threads and may have found the problem...but here goes anyhow. Parked my 92 MX3 in the driveway the other day. The car was running fine. When I went back the next day, it was turning over just fine but wouldn't catch. Thought it must have been the fuel pump so I threw another in to try it out. Nope. Not the fuel pump. I popped a plug and tried cranking it....no spark. I suppose this would lead me to the distributor? No other gremlins that I may check first? I appreciate any input.
By the way, she has 318,000kms on the original engine. For some reason Mazda won't honour a warranty claim....go figure!
Anyhow, great site. Thanks
It takes a big man to cry, but a bigger man to laugh at that man!
Jumbieman

Re: Dead in the water

Post by Jumbieman »

I had the same problem, but mine just died on the highway and wouldn't fire for nothing. This time it was the distributer. The time before that it was the spark plug wires. Hope this helps.<p>Jumbie
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

change the disty cap and rotor that should fix the problem
Cage

Post by Cage »

Ummm ...Change the Distributor...not just the cap...Make sure you change the rotor too...6 to 8 bucks for the rotor ..make a note to the positon (TDC) ...and rotor so when you change it the ignition timing won't be off. I got a remanufactured distributor from http://www.advanceautoparts.com/ $154.49 core is $50.00 lifetime warranty!! ...That is important with these distributors ....they have a bad history. I guess it could just be the cap... but most of the time it is a failing ignitor module.<p>Hope that helped!
Cage
Coop

Post by Coop »

Thanks very much guys....haven't had a chance to get at it just yet. Motorcycling weather you know...next week for sure. Thanks again!
It takes a big man to cry, but a bigger man to laugh at that man!
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

nopi.com and jcwhitney.com also had good prices on distributors, and it's not really hard to put in
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

or go to an autoparts store and get one for a 93 probe gt v6 for $100 with a lifetime warranty :) .
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Cage

Post by Cage »

Just don't go to ford dealer to get one $748.00 !!!!!!!!!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”