Valve cover gasket- do it myself?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Classy Chick

Valve cover gasket- do it myself?

Post by Classy Chick »

Well- my MX-3 has finally succumbed to the renowned problem of oil in the plug wells. After a quick look the general opinion was that both the valve cover gaskets needed replacing. The other weekend I successfully changed the front gasket but now the rear needs doing. Has anyone done it themselves? <p>I know Mazda quote for 3 hours work so I expect to take a bit longer than that ( ! ) but is the job very complicated or do you need any unusual tools? <p>I have all my gaskets ready and waiting but I wanted to be sure first that I'm not too likely to end up with half an engine on the garage floor with not a clue what to do with it! <p> :shrug: <p>Thanks in advance!

Re: Valve cover gasket- do it myself?

Post by Guest »

shouldnt be that hard, its just a matter of getting the intake manifold off thats the hardest part, go pick up a car book, or check out the online shop manual if your unsure, and just remember where everything goes when you put it back together! and you should have no problems.
mazdamxstyle

Post by mazdamxstyle »

You can do it yourself for sure, I wrote up a how-to on how to take off the intake manifold, sorry Im cut short on time or Id post the link, but do a search and you'll hopefully find its really not that hard. After you get the manifold off the valve cover in back is the same as the front.
1993 Mazda mx-3 GS - Blaze Red (Totaled) Went through an 89 rx7 and a 93 del sol. Now searching again!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mxmisl
codyhoover

Post by codyhoover »

IF you are useing a Chilton manual, make sure you read it. I tried putting everything back together just based on the picts and had my fuel lines crossed because the tiny picture has them on backwards. FPR is downstream of the injectors. <p>Other than that I had the IM off and everything back together in abour 4 hrs. I took time and cleaned out the IM also.
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"
mazdamxstyle

Post by mazdamxstyle »

First of all... If your comfortable witht chiltons use it. BUT I think its the worst manual EVER. All it does is say... Disconnect this then this then that. What I really need to know half the time is HOW to take it off. And when you pull stuff off the Intake Manifold it usual sits right next to where you pull it off, but do label them if your not really comfortable with what connects with what.
1993 Mazda mx-3 GS - Blaze Red (Totaled) Went through an 89 rx7 and a 93 del sol. Now searching again!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mxmisl
jordanmx3

Post by jordanmx3 »

you can do it,just try it ,its alot cheaper if you do it your self than to take to the ripoff dealers.
Classy Chick

Post by Classy Chick »

Thanks for the advice- I'm going to give it a go today so wish me luck!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”