anyone ever bored out their 1.8 TB 60mm

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
lazzyie

Re: anyone ever bored out their 1.8 TB 60mm

Post by lazzyie »

I used my k8 iac when I swapped my ze in cause I had to use my k8 throttle body for awhile
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

I have the Kl TB installed for over two years, and I had to relocate my thermostat a few inches to make room for the Iac. It was a bit annoying to do, as I had to remove the intake manifold in order to do it. Here´s how I managed to get my idle perfect:
I decided to Detach the electrical connector from the Iac, and then had to play with the butterfly opening screw and air screw to make it idle. Once you have it running well, set the TPS as in the workshop manual. If after that it revs or stalls, you will have to play again with the butterfly and the screw. Note that everytime that you modify the butterfly position, you will have to set the TPS. I´ll recommend you to chase the idle at normal operation temperature with the lights on. When it´s really cold, I have to warm up the car a bit, if not it could stall while coming out from parked, but that´s not really a bad thing, as it remind you to warm your car before driving!
I had my better top speed marks with the Kl TB. With the Kl TB, the Kl headers ( I know that they are bored smaller, but the semidual system looked good to me), a cold air intake, test pipe, both Vris valves open ( I built a controller so I can have them opened, close, or normally operating) and achieved a top speed of 225 Km/H ,when before I had a hard ime to achieve 200Km /h.
European Mx3 GsRT
pelado

Post by pelado »

If anyone wants to bore out their K8 TB, I'll gladly sell them a 60mm throttle plate!<p>$5 for the plate plus, a la eBay swine, shipping and packaging charges which bring the total to $20!!
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

If you get a TB from a Millenia it will bolt on with no problems, The TPS and IAC will inter change with no fitment problems.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by curtklze:
<p>? you can probably get a used throttle body from a local wrecker for around $25-$50. to bore out a throttle body, first you have to find someone to take it apart, have the proper machine to bore it EXACTLY center, then make a new throttle blade with the proper size bleed holes in it(the little holes in the blade to let a little air get past) and re-assemble it all. sounds like more than $50.00 to me.<hr></blockquote> <p>Thats right, i didnt think about getting the new throttle plate. However, boring out the TB would be cheap at any machine shop. IT's a really easy cut to make, especially compared to other types of jobs they do. Or you can do it yourself if you have two different lathes in your shop and your dad is a machinest :) Oh, and good luck finding any part on a kl engine sold for 25 dollars. LOL those junkyard ***s know how to jip ya..
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
mattster

Post by mattster »

my goodness that sounds like a ton of work battosai! i am still thinking that it would be soooo much easier to work with a bored out K8 TB. what exactly is the process that a machinist goes through to bore a throttle body? i know that we have a machine shop at the place i work and maybe the guys there would be willing to help out with my little project. or maybe i should try out kurtze's idea and just go out and find a millenia TB... are you sure that there would be no clearance problems?
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

yes, im sure, try to find a used TB that has already had the TPS sensor and IAC removed and sold,(it might be a little cheaper) then just bolt on your 1.8 TPS and IAC and bolt the throttle body onto your intake manifold.<p>There is a spacer behind the 1.8 TB, remove it, the hole in the center is too small and will choke off all the air trying to get into the manifold.(you will have to adjust the throttle CABLE)
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.

mattster

Post by mattster »

awesome! thanks so much for the help curt. i will be keeping my eyes open for a millinia TB. i am really considering doing some dyno testing for the results, would anyone else be wanting to see these results?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
andy

Post by andy »

Ok it monday and I'm just getting back to my computer, so I will try to answer the posts one at a time in order.<p>1) The TPS will swap over but the IAC will not on the TB's I have. they are Probe GT TB's<p>2) I did not have a choice, I had to use the KL's
IAC soenoid. <p>3)The millenia TB would definitaly be the way to go if the IAC were on the same side.<p>4) I will try that tonight regarding the Idling solution you have. Thats one thing I did not do, disconnect the IAC and work from there. I should mention that I can get the car to Idle great so long as I don't turn the A/C on. So I'm curious if you have it Idling without stalling when the A/C compressor engages.<p>5) I have my K8 TB here at work with me. I'm planning on letting the experts in the prototype machine shop bore it out. I don't think its as easy as it sounds. The boring it out part might be but getting the TB plate to set in the bored out TB will be the hard part. Just ask the guys on the Probetalk board, it can take a week or two for the TB plate to seat itself properly into the bored TB, and only then can you get the idle to cooperate.<p> If the Millenia TB is a direct fit, it would definiatly be the way to go. I would still be curious to see how hard it would be to get the idle issues solved with one. Mainly the A/C on/off issues I'm having. I live in south Florida and can't live without it. I currently have the idle set to 1500 rpm's and when the A/C compressor
cycles on the rpm's fall to 300. anything less and it stalls.
Andy P. 93 GS
mattster

Post by mattster »

no AC for me :) . i have sent a couple of e-mails to see if i can get my hands on a millenia TB for cheap. anything less than $50 is what i am looking to pay if anyone has any leads...<p>[ March 31, 2003: Message edited by: mattster ]</p>

^link to my V8 swap page
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

just a quick note, the millenia IAC and the K8 IAC are the same part, the part number is the same also, but the connector is 180 deg. off, but the connector plugs in anyway, I know because I put the K8 IAC on to my millenia 2.5 engine.<p>This only aplies to 94 and up K8's, 93 K8's have a different type of electical connectors.<p>so if you have a 91-93 K8 you will have to switch your K8 IAC and TPS on to the millenia TB, If you have a 94-98 K8 you can use the millenia IAC and TPS.<p>[ March 31, 2003: Message edited by: curtklze ]</p>
Yes, I AM a bastard

curtklze

Post by curtklze »

here is a link to a Millenia TB for sale<p>http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=004805<p>good luck
Yes, I AM a bastard

Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I bought my KL t/b for $24 from my JY and it came with the TPS and IAC valve. Gotta love pick-it pull-it yards!!

You'll have to bore your intake plenum out to 60mm if you want to get anything out of doing this. Or upgrade to a KL manifold
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

is there one of you guys that have checked the v6 faq...there's a review on k series TB
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Originally posted by mx3man83:
To have your TB bored out would most likely cost less than buying a larger TB.
i got a klze TB for 15 bucks off ebay from some guy who did the swap but used a Kl03 IM and TB instead
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”