horsepower with addons

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
tcsnipe

horsepower with addons

Post by tcsnipe »

Im planning on buying<p>full exhaust
prm intake
unorthodox pulleys
65 mm throttle body<p>How much of a horsepower gain can I expect?
How much is the stock h/p and torgue?
And is there anything else I can do to the 1.8 for h/p besides turbos/supers/nos?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: horsepower with addons

Post by Custommx3 »

You should really read alot more of this website. that info is all over the place :) <p>The only way to tell your gains is on a dyno. Diff brands produce different results. <p>Alot of people think that if you do alot of stuff you get gains per item, but if you add more items, you dont get a great of gain as you may think. You may get the PRM and get 2-3 HP, add the TB, and maybe get a total of 7 together.
Just because they claim 5 HP gains on a product doesnt mean you 'll get 5 hp. Maybe if that was your only mod then yes. Parts work together, so HP adds up.<p>[ March 18, 2003: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]</p>
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Full exhaust piping is nothing without headers, look around for headers for the 2.5L Probe and MX-6. The engines are the same. Anything that'll work for them will work for you too
sheller

Post by sheller »

Well, I don't have experience with all of those items but do have the underdrive pulley and now the prm intake. I put the pulley on when I switched engines (K8 to K8). When I got the car back it did seem to rev a bit quicker and just seemed a bit swifter. That was a few months ago. I just installed the prm this last Sunday. Again, it seems a little swifter and stronger. The exhaust note when I'm rev'ing the engine is a little bit louder too but not "loud" per say. I don't have any set hp numbers to give because as Barry said, the only way to get those specifically is by putting it on a dyno or something. I just that there is a difference but not enough that it feels like a different car. Hope this helps.
Steve
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I'd say ~10whp for all that.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
PaImportTuner

Post by PaImportTuner »

so your saying. probe/mx6 v6 headers worok with the v6 mx-3 motor?? is it a direct bolt on what do you have to do?
92' MX-3 GS V6
Custom CAI
2.5" Exhaust (no cat)
MSD Ignition<p>Problems -pulls like a raped ape BUT
*car smokes sometimes, smells like oil. Ticking sound when lightly on gas between 3-3.5k rpm.. HELP ME PLS.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

They will bolt to the block but you'll have to fabricate them to fit under the car. No sustantial gains have been found when upgrading the headers
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Hy300:
Full exhaust piping is nothing without headers, look around for headers for the 2.5L Probe and MX-6. The engines are the same. Anything that'll work for them will work for you too<hr></blockquote><p>Of course, they are sized for a 2.5L, not a 1.8L
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:
They will bolt to the block but you'll have to fabricate them to fit under the car. No sustantial gains have been found when upgrading the headers<hr></blockquote><p>That's only because nobody has designed a GOOD header for the car. there's more to it than throwing a few pipes together on a flange.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:
<p>That's only because nobody has designed a GOOD header for the car. there's more to it than throwing a few pipes together on a flange.<hr></blockquote><p>I was under the impression that vaughn put together a tuned set of equal-length headers for the v6 (dont remember if it was for the 1.8 or 2.5) that only put out 2-3whp. He is the only person to this point that i know of that has gone that far... so i'm basing my statement on that. Myself and some others on this board have attempted to convert 2.5L headers into the mx-3 bay and i havent heard of any success, most likely because of what you mentioned. I actually lost hp with the pacesetter headers... not to mention that their low quality caused them to leak during the 6 months i had them on the car. :shrug:
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02:
<p>I was under the impression that vaughn put together a tuned set of equal-length headers for the v6 (dont remember if it was for the 1.8 or 2.5) that only put out 2-3whp. He is the only person to this point that i know of that has gone that far... so i'm basing my statement on that. Myself and some others on this board have attempted to convert 2.5L headers into the mx-3 bay and i havent heard of any success, most likely because of what you mentioned. I actually lost hp with the pacesetter headers... not to mention that their low quality caused them to leak during the 6 months i had them on the car. :shrug: <hr></blockquote><p>
As I recall, Vaughn's headers actually had good results. I don't recall the numbers, but I did correspond with him during my research about 18 months ago about them, and I remember him being quite happy with them. I believe he got them from a company out of South Africa, IIRC.<p>Again, there IS power to be had, but not with the available parts off the shelf right now.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
therealstasman
Supporting Member

Post by therealstasman »

Last edited by therealstasman on February 17th, 2009, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stas:
so what do you guys think about hotshot headers for pgt. besides being a bit longer, because i have stock pgt headers and downpipe with a flexible piece, the piece is busted, so i don't know whether i should just get a used stock downpipe or something aftermarket. any suggestions?<hr></blockquote><p>
Its designed for a 2.5L. Its not at all tuned for your car.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

theres set of headers for my s-10 and headers DO add hp and tq levels, i have mini truckin magazine issue and theres headers added 12+hp and 10+tq at wheels on dyno, if u get exhaust system would add 15+ hp and about same tq on K08.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mitmaks:
theres set of headers for my s-10 and headers DO add hp and tq levels, i have mini truckin magazine issue and theres headers added 12+hp and 10+tq at wheels on dyno, if u get exhaust system would add 15+ hp and about same tq on K08.<hr></blockquote><p>
The above post is not based on sound logic at all. Speculation and guesswork don't define reality. Physics and math are part of something called "science" that is part of a set of rules our world exists by. Read up on it sometime...
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”