Breather

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
pickinganame

Breather

Post by pickinganame »

THeres a hose that connects at the top of the air intake tube then it splits into two diff tubes if i ws to put a breather on it instead of conneting to intake would that hurt anything because im going to do a custom intake but i dont want to out that hose on it thanks :)
Len-Dogg

Re: Breather

Post by Len-Dogg »

That is exactly what I did. I got some mesh type fabric and zip tied it around the end of that tube, and then zip tied the whole tube out of sight when I put my CAI on. No problems to report.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
mazdamxstyle

Post by mazdamxstyle »

Mines had no filter on it for about 3 months, and no problems although Im going to put a breather on it because it looks cool! lol
1993 Mazda mx-3 GS - Blaze Red (Totaled) Went through an 89 rx7 and a 93 del sol. Now searching again!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mxmisl
codyhoover

Post by codyhoover »

Interesting. My car will not run if that is not connected to the intake. It dies every time.
-Cody
Green '92 GS
140db on 1 12"
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

Maybe you are not talking about the same hose, because that one that we are talking about is strictly for emissions reduction purposes. I don't have mine hooked up either, and have no problems.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
pickinganame

Post by pickinganame »

well im talking about the three hoses at the top theres two hoses that go to a connector into one hose and connectss at the top of the intake before the the air sensor thingy :)
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

breather filters are a really dumb idea...<p>Put the hoses on. It makes the engine WORK BETTER.<p>If you dont believe me, talk to Endyn Engine Dynamics.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

Ya, leave everything from the MAF back to the engine the same as it is. The only thing that you can leave hanging and not affect is the one little hose that went into the stock airbox. That is the one that I was referring to.
pickinganame

Post by pickinganame »

so if i put a breather on it,it would srew things up how because its just hooked up to the intake aslong it gets clean air why would it be bad for one i need more help some one please tell me thankx
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Larry at endyn:
Now, I don't think that enthusiasts have really ever studied the Honda engines enough to fully comprehend the fact that they were designed to be operated with a closed PCV system. You can't just vent the back side of the engine and the valve cover to atmosphere and negate crankcase pressure at high power and rpm levels. If you're planning to do it that way, drill a couple 1" vent holes in the valve cover (preferably near the large drain holes), weld in a couple 1" diameter tubes, and run a 2.5" - 3.0" breather on each. You could also connect hoses to each and merge them into a common tank with two breathers for vents. You'll still need to vent the block to a tank with another breather.
Honda designed these engines to run only one way....with PCV system intact. The entire engine is configured to have suction placed on the crankcase and the ventilation is barely adequate for those purposes. The passages from the block to the head were also configured for minimum vapor flow, once again, because the system was under vacuum from the PCV valve. The upper valve cover vent was also configured to help purge the vapors and dilute them prior to consumption by the inlet tract of the engine.<p>None of this means a hoot, unless you're serious about ridding your engine of excessive crankcase pressure and, or reducing oil contamination in the cylinders. When an engine's crankcase breathing is designed to have a vacuum drawing the vapors out, you either have to use a vacuum source (engine, or pump), or ventilate the hell out of the engine.
There's no cheating or getting around the porper ways of doing it, period. We're not selling the components necessary to do the job correctly, so Endyn isn't effected if people try to cheat the system, or not.
You guys might not understand the fact that we consider budgets in everything we do, especially for ourselves. If there's a short-cut or a less expensive way, you can bet that we've either tried it, or will as soon as schedules permit. We don't pass on instructions about how-to just to spend time.

<hr></blockquote><p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> More from Larry
I should add this......back in the days when there were no government mandated controls on emissions, we used to run as many as 4 breather tubes on the valve covers of V-8 engines. They were a necessity, especially on engines that ran in excess of 7,000 rpm. Now, I know that ring seal wasn't what it is today, but the point is that, if the Honda engines were designed to operate with no consideration for crankcase emissions, the block and head venting systems would have been designed differently with considerably more effective outlet area. If you're going to run a Honda without legal crankcase ventilation, you need a lot more breathing passage area than is afforded by the small vent on the end of the Honda valve covers. We typically run at least 2 breather tubes welded into the valve cover for all out racing Honda engines. The tubes are typically in the one inch diameter range, and they seem to do a fair job. Anything less isn't enough.
If you just hang a couple breathers on the engine....one from the black separator tank and one from the valve cover vent, it's not enough and you'll be seeing excessive crankcase pressure, with the attendant blow-by.

<hr></blockquote><p>[ March 23, 2003: Message edited by: David Coleman ]</p>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
mattster

Post by mattster »

I think some people are talking about different tubes here...<p>there is one tube about may 1/4" that can be left hanging with no negative effect<p>the other is maybe 3/4" that connects near the TB that should be filtered
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
pickinganame

Post by pickinganame »

so matterster if i put the hose by the trottlr body to a breather it should be fine right???
pickinganame

Post by pickinganame »

mattester its the 4th picture you hae it shows the hoses that connect to one and goes to the intake thats the hose i like to know if i could just put a breather on it?
pickinganame

Post by pickinganame »

some body please answer me and what kinda efect it would have on it?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”