ALL AC parts removed

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdamxstyle

ALL AC parts removed

Post by mazdamxstyle »

Finally got ALL the lines and condensor and compressor and EVERYTHING removed from my car that had to do with AC, the second fan on the radiator (that came on with the AC) weighed about 5 pounds and the condensor or compressor not sure which its called (looks like a small radiator) was also about 5 pounds, and my engine has tons of room. So total including AC brackets and bolts weighs darn close to 35 pounds, and a ton of engine room, the most surprising was teh weight of the second fan inside the engine. Pics coming up this weekend to show the amount of room Ive freed up.
1993 Mazda mx-3 GS - Blaze Red (Totaled) Went through an 89 rx7 and a 93 del sol. Now searching again!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mxmisl
Steeb

Re: ALL AC parts removed

Post by Steeb »

if you hook it up so it turns on with the other fan wouldnt you benefit from having the weight of another fan? just an idea...
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

My first fan hardly ever comes on, the engine isn't supposed to get so hot that you'd need a second fan. I hardly ever need the first fan anyway. In some weird way I hope this answers you question. If you only need one fan, and you have a second that weighs five pounds, and you aren't going to need it, what would you do with it?
pickinganame

Post by pickinganame »

would it be better to run a switch to the fan and have it on at all times when the car is one just woundering thats all. :D
mazdamxstyle

Post by mazdamxstyle »

It might be better to have another one in some cases, but I honestly have never seen it come on, and the amount of space it clears up is very nice, the headers have a lot of room now to! Plus to me 5 pounds is well worth it since Im trying so hard to get at 2350 pounds without me in it and without changing the appearance of the car.
1993 Mazda mx-3 GS - Blaze Red (Totaled) Went through an 89 rx7 and a 93 del sol. Now searching again!
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mazdamxstyle:
It might be better to have another one in some cases, but I honestly have never seen it come on, and the amount of space it clears up is very nice, the headers have a lot of room now to! Plus to me 5 pounds is well worth it since Im trying so hard to get at 2350 pounds without me in it and without changing the appearance of the car.<hr></blockquote><p>I didn't think of the fan,nice. I just finished my lexan hatch old one weighs 80lbs new one is 40lbs . makes a big difference. eliminated power steering belt with a 4030290 belt to run water pump . very fast. nitrous on Monday going for a mid 12<p>and you don't want the fan on all the time because your motor has to generate the energy through the alt to run it.
13.023 @ 105 mph
MrMX3

Post by MrMX3 »

so now that all the parts are out, would you want to sell it all?
Mike
1993 MX-3 GS
2.5l KL-ZE
My Cardomain Page
mazdamxstyle

Post by mazdamxstyle »

How much was the light weight glass for the hatch? I was thinking about that to.
chance

Post by chance »

Replacing the hatch glass with lexan is all well and good but rather expensive for my budget. I know it would hurt the airodinamics, but has anyone ever ran their car at the track without the hatch on? Everyone I've mentioned this to has said they wont let you run like that, but why not. Convertibles can race. So maybe they will make you wear a helmet. If anyone has tried this, please tell me if it helped or hurt your times.
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

What was the part number for that belt you needed once you removed the A/C?<p>They won't let you run without the hatch window because it's like a big gaping hole in the body of the car. It will reduce the structural integtrity of the vehicle as it rockets down the track over 90mph. Not only that, but because you have that big hole it is possible for wind rushing in through the hatch to cause the rear end to shake or sway from side to side. Just my two cents on the issue
mazdamxstyle

Post by mazdamxstyle »

Dont remember the part number but if you go to napa or shucks or something just tell them you need a belt for a mx-3 GS that came without AC and they'll hand you a belt that should be smaller than the one you removed because its no longer running the AC. Its only like 10 bucks for the belt.
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mazdamxstyle:
How much was the light weight glass for the hatch? I was thinking about that to.<hr></blockquote><p>stole a sheet from work but the hatch was 150 cnd whichis like 50$ usd<p>I think it will make a huge improvment I can notice that it grips more on wet pavement. I am going to do a carbon fiber or fiberglass dummy hatch , see how much it will cost me <p> :shrug:
13.023 @ 105 mph
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

I think that would be cool as well, I want 2 hatches, one with a light weight plexi glass or something of that sort, with the carbon fiber glass garnish thingy, and the other just normal with my wing on it, for when I want to look fancy and create extra unessecary unwanted drag with my wing and also for the rear defroster.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

:D :D god bless unnessesary drag(and bigger bombs) :D :D
13.023 @ 105 mph
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aaron the hic:
:D :D god bless unnessesary drag(and bigger bombs) :D :D <hr></blockquote><p>For me, its bigger boobs!! :D :D
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”