Fibre-Glassed (resin) Doors....steps and pics

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
airjordon_09

Fibre-Glassed (resin) Doors....steps and pics

Post by airjordon_09 »

First, by reading this, please only read cause you asked for help, dont read it to be a pr*ck and say that i am completly wrong, this is how i did my doors and they turned out perfect. if you have anything to add please do so, but not if its negitive. thanks<p>Due to amount of emails i have received and everyone that would like to see steps and pictures, i figured that i would just post it here, then if you have any addition questions, feel free to e-mail me after.
Like i said before, i used resin not fibre-glass sheets. The resin that i used i bought from Canadian Tire and it's pretty much a starter kit. <p>1)When i started mine, i first taped off the material section so that the resin would not go onto the other parts of the door. After awhile and i almost finished i changed my mind from having just the single part done, to the whole door, the pics i have are just of the material part of the door because i havnt taken any pics as of late with my whole door done.<p>2)Start with a nice thick coat because the material will soak up the resin, you will get pissed at first, but this is a good thing, because it is ensuring that it is going to be deep and strong. If using fibre-glass, it is not able to soak up into the material and is not as strong, we found this out the hard way on steve's (mx3vs)'s doors. letting this coat dry for awhile is very important because its your base coat.<p>3)After it has dry, start laying down thin coats of the resin over the door making sure that all of your layers are smoothly spread out. (trust me, it will help when your hours of sanding come into play)<p>4)once you feel you have a nice really thick coat down, start sanding, for sand paper i would say use 40 grit and 80 grit fibre-glass sandpaper, and also but 600 and 1000 grit wet -dry fibre-glass sandpaper<p>5) after that its just a repeating process, sand, sand sand, lay another thin coat, and so on<p>
as said in the last post, someone said they did two layers of resin, its not that its bad, but when i did my doors, i did about 6 layers just to be on the safe side because if you sand to far down in one part and hit the old material, its a pain to just resin that and then even it back out with the rest of the door. <p> hope this helps<p>
just first taped it off<p>
Image<p>
first coat, looks kinda rough, not as bad in person though<p>Image<p>Image<p>heres after a few more light coats and sanded down<p>Image<p>then another coat and more sanding<p>Image<p>
and almost done<p>Image
and...
Image<p>
hope this long long post has helped anyone that needed to know this or was one that emailed me.<p>
peace
JºrDôñ
Mx sold, gonna miss ya babe

gti_driven@hotmail.com
marshmallow15

Re: Fibre-Glassed (resin) Doors....steps and pics

Post by marshmallow15 »

so to get the smoothness, that results from continuous sanding? wow nice writeup i think ill try this out when my door panels get beat up enough.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

Very nice write-up.
Actually I think that it should be moved to the Apperance FAQ, since so many people want to do this :)
Ruben MX-3

Post by Ruben MX-3 »

Sweet Write Up Man.... I like, I like. :)
Hex3

Post by Hex3 »

I dont know if this will help the appearence of your doors or not but i would sand it really good, then paint it, and sand it with like 2500 grid. After that i would get a clear coat sprayed on it to give it more of a shine. I dont know if that will help the look or not but i would give it a try......!!!!
2.5 KL-ZE, BBS rims, I the front i have to falkin Azenis, Intrax Springs, CM Stage 1 clutch, and Fidanza flywheel, Pacesetter short shifter, Tociko Blue Struts, Sparco Steering Wheel, Yellow Top Battery
Alpine Type R Subs 10's, Alpine 2 Channel Amp, Alpine 4 channel
Amp, Alpine Alarm,Alpine Headunit
14.8 @ 94.2(with vaccume lick)
Hex3

Post by Hex3 »

also do you have any pics that are taken in the day time outside with some light on those doors....??????
2.5 KL-ZE, BBS rims, I the front i have to falkin Azenis, Intrax Springs, CM Stage 1 clutch, and Fidanza flywheel, Pacesetter short shifter, Tociko Blue Struts, Sparco Steering Wheel, Yellow Top Battery
Alpine Type R Subs 10's, Alpine 2 Channel Amp, Alpine 4 channel
Amp, Alpine Alarm,Alpine Headunit
14.8 @ 94.2(with vaccume lick)
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Did you actually put fiberglass on top of your old cloth or you took it off first??Good job by the way :p
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

damn dude, way to go man,,, :D
very nicely done, i am trying it for sure next week since i have 2 different colored door panels and i can just use resin and sanding and just paint them to math,, :D <p>Could someone move this to FAQs and also the appreance forum, i guess thats where it belongs. :shrug:
airjordon_09

Post by airjordon_09 »

ya, using the 80 grit fibre-glass sandpaper will make it really smooth, the key to getting them perfect is sanding forever, on my main dash and my doors i think i have spent like 10 hours sanding all together. long time but you can tell the differnce when its done, <p>to the person who talked about fibre-glass, i wouldnt use it cause personally we did it on steves doors and it ****ed them up, i use only resin and mine turned out awesome, <p> when doing the first coat, you will think its soaking into the material and you will get pissed, i know i did at first but this is a good thing because its providing a nice thick base layer<p> thanks again for all the positive feed back, its much appreciated, doing your doors or anything is very noticeable but very time consuming, i say go for do it, just dont quit half-way cause them your interior will look worse<p>thanks again.<p> Jordon
JºrDôñ

gti_driven@hotmail.com
Max

Post by Max »

how does the clear coat work ?? where can you buy some ? So lets say i put some resin on my door pannel and do the whole sanding bit, then i paint it the color i want (what kind of paint ? ). Then i sand some more and then i clear coat the hole thing and thats it ???. Any help would be apreciated. Thanks
airjordon_09

Post by airjordon_09 »

ya, use the krylon crap with resin, its your best bet, your colours are limited but it sticks to it the best, but when spray painting resin, it is so important that you do very thin coats, 3 small coats is better then one thick on, thats how i look at it and you would agree if you have seen my main dash or interior, then with the clear coat, you just spray very light coats over the paint then more thin coats, and a lot would say that you never put a thick coat of clear on, but my last coat of clear is always thick and it has turner out perfect everytime, hope this helps
JºrDôñ

gti_driven@hotmail.com
Kapp00

Post by Kapp00 »

HOw Much of REsin Did u buy for this project on both doors... QUart or Pint? There's specail dye or paint to paint on resin after its dryed.... but just wondering if its fibreglass resin?
airjordon_09

Post by airjordon_09 »

Just go buy a can that comes with one litre, its like 15$ at crappy tire, its made by bondo, and its called fibre-glass resin, then buy a couple of extra tubes of liquid resin, they are like 2.50$ each and that will be more then enough
JºrDôñ

gti_driven@hotmail.com
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

and you just brushed on the resin?? all over your dash?
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”