Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Who has J-spec 2.0L V6 KF-ZE

Post by Custommx3 »

K801.
tatsu

Post by tatsu »

While I am all for the uniqueness of running the 2.0L V6 out here, you may want to consider doing a KL-03 swap instead for a couple of reasons.<p>I have heard many reports of people buying what they thought were 170hp KF-ZE motors, and getting 145hp KF motors instead. Also, the aforementioned issues with the ECU compatibility will make the swap problematic at best. I have heard that the K8 ECU, etc. will work acceptably well, but the VRIS points, fuel and ignition mapping will need to be changed for best performance, so a custom, dyno-tuned ECU will be needed.<p>The KL-03 will probably cost as much as a KF-ZE, makes 5 fewer horsepower but WAY more torque, and, assuming you get a similar year motor to your K8, the swap will be MUCH simpler, as the ECU, etc. just plugs right in. If you factor in the custom ECU, etc. required to get the rated power out of the KF-ZE, the 2.0L swap will be more expensive.
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Ya, but JP, you're going to get better gas milage (a bit) with a KF compared to a KL just because of the bore size.<p>The KF, to me, is a better motor to experiment with than a KL.<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

you get the same ecu incompatibilities with a kl, but yeah i totally agree, unless you're getting a great price, a kf isn't worth it, especially when you factor in your lo-octane gas, i got mine half price, i wouldn't have bought it otherwise
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

I also would rather experiment with the 2.0 than the 2.5. Does anyone know what models in England might have had the KF-ZE or K8-ZE? But what's the deal on a K8-ZE? Is it just a different head and computer? How much power does it make? <p>My sister's in the military in England, so I might look into sourcing some parts from there and have her ship them to me via military mail and forgo the tarrifs and cross-seas shipping.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

The difference in a K8DE and a K8ZE would be the higher compression pistons. The heads are the same, I would think the cams would be the same too but no one has ever measured them.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Lakersfan1,<p>The 323F was sold in the UK with the KFDE engine (147 bhp); no KFZE.<p>No K8ZEs marketed in UK; only K8DE (134 bhp) in MX-3s.<p>I think you'll find the only country where Mazda supply the ZE engines is Japan.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”