Bad shifting, need input

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jspecmazdaman

Re: Bad shifting, need input

Post by jspecmazdaman »

Get a short shifter (not that it will help) just drunk and wanting to type my opinion.
spicanco

Post by spicanco »

I had the same problem i changeded the trannie fluid and the problem dissappeared.<p>Hope that helps
"Don't Ever let anyone tell you, that you don't deserve the things you want"
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

well, i have asked every single mazda dealer i've been to, and when i told em it wont shift into first gear, they just laughed @ me,,,,
I'm guessing they are not supposed to shift back in first gear, and thats because of the size of the gears in a V6 tranny, it would defnitely **uck your tranny next time you try to do that,,,
I dont use my 1st gear anymore, i start with 2, and go back to 2 wheneva i wanna slow down,,,<p>to mention, i had the exact same problem in my pathfinder, and the jetta GLX i have a while back, V6s dont seem to like to go back to 1st,, :D
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

That's a common trait among all GS. The newer that car the worse it is. It will tend to disapear after a while and then slowly come back to haunt you. I'm not sure why, it just does.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
PJT84

Post by PJT84 »

yea im having the same problem after a while i learned to just downshift into second, if you want to complete stop then put it into neutral and then into first. However it is annoying at times. Sometimes its a little harsh to get it into second too, but that is rare. Yea i have a '92 1.8 GS myself. It would be nice if this problem was fixed but it seems to be a common problem i suppose.
Becker

Post by Becker »

Wow i thought i was the only one, ya going from 1st to 2nd is kinda tough i have to hold the shifter there with some pressure before it clicks into place...but thats only around high rpm's, if i let the tach drop to around 3-4000rpm then i can throw it into 2nd no problem, but it becomes an annoyance when teaching a kid in his civic who's boss. :roll:
94 V6 GS Teal
I'm Not C0CKY....Just Perfect
ghandi1981

Post by ghandi1981 »

hmm....so just use second and cut 1st out all toghether????<p>aj
resurected KL-ZE,ZE ECU, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, CMIII, home depot CAI, Hiflow Cat, 2 1/2" piping, exhaust, 2 MASS 2012's, Cadence A7, Blaupunkt Casablanca, and a no damn CEL light!!!
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

For me it's hard to get into first unless I am stopped. Also when I first start my car up until it gets shifted a few times, the 1st to 2nd shift is rough. Like you can feel something grinding or catching. If you pause for about a half second in neutral, and then go to second, then it's fine. And once it warms up then it's fine. Have any idea why that might be?
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
quinn_seipp

Post by quinn_seipp »

the only gear I have issues with on mine is reverse... I think your synchros are screwed or something... try matching revs and see if it will click in easier. :shrug:
130 hp and 1000 horsepower strong, ;)
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

I agree with quinn. Definatly syncros. They are the part in your clutch i beleive that match your gear speed with your engine speed so you can go into gear easier. If they are wore out, the only way you can get into gear is either with a LOT of grinding, or matching the engine spead with the gear box spead on shifts like quinn suggested. If you are going to try the oil change in the gear box, use a synthetic, you'll get smoother shifts, especially in cold weather.<p>[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: K8 ]</p>

Post by Guest »

i was looking at the shop manual yesturday, I believe they are in between different gears in the transmission. But I think your right as too there purpose. It would also make sense that only my second gear seems to be a problem, so Im assuming that would be the syncronizer(s)? in my second gear? Anyways thats sounds expensive to replace, not the part its self but all that labour, and im sure once they take the transmission apart there would be a handful of other parts to replace?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”