Major idling problems + running rich

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
KNOCKOUT

Major idling problems + running rich

Post by KNOCKOUT »

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted and that's only cause I've been having way too much fun in my KLZE equiped MX-3. <p>But I'm having some major idling issues. First of all, let me tell you what my setup is: KLZE engine w/curved neck ZE intake manifold, 5-speed and a reprogrammed Corksport 1.8ecu to ZE specs w/1.8 VAF. <p>I checked my main air intake hose and can't seem to find any cracks/splits, so for now I'm ruling that out. <p>When stopped at a light after driving around for a bit, the rpm's will literally ramp-up from 800rpm to 1500rpm back down to 800rpm and then 1500 and so on....it will eventually stop after a while, but it gets really anoying especially when there's someone stopped at the same light as me and they keep looking over at me thinking that I'm chuckin' a rev at them or something.......even worse is if it's a cop (haven't had that happen yet).<p>Now, I'm wondering if it's a fuel problem cause I'm also running pretty rich and my dyno air/fuel ratio numbers proved it even though I put down 168whp and 152wtq, but the 168whp was only at 6200rpm, which is pretty low for a KL-ZE. <p>What do you guys recommend for dropping my fuel pressure: a fuel pressure regulator, if so, any specific brands? Or do you possibly recommend a stand alone like a S-AFC? Also, cold starts are pretty rough....I usually have to wait about 10 minutes before even thinking about moving it on a 25°F morning.
Do it.......Do it.......<BR>Do it ti'll you're satisfied!
Sonicxtacy02

Re: Major idling problems + running rich

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

does it high rev at cold start? If the idle is rythmic and not random it sounds like IAT/ISC issues.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

i dont know but that idle fluctuation problem i remember hearing a lot about. And if Im not mistaken it was with people who still use the 1.8 ecu with there ze...but I see yours is reprogrammed....
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

IAT/ISC?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
pelado

Post by pelado »

Try adjusting your TPS.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

Thanks for the link, last time I checked, I didn't have a code 10, but ya never know. <p>Cold starts in the morning are actually at a semi-low idle (around 800-1000rpm) but then after about 5 minutes goes up to about 1500 and then after another 5 minutes or so, goes back down to 800rpm and after all that, that's when the car will actually move without all kinds of resistance.......very strange!
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

I have the same setup as you and Im haveing the same problems.<p>when cold, my car also runs super rich(black exhaust smoke) and has a bad missfire on part throttle acceleration untill the car warms up then it runs sweet(good).<p>does yours do the same? <p>If so I think its the corksport computer, I will probably get a real ze computer if I check all the sensors and they check out good.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
geezMX3

Post by geezMX3 »

I had similar problems with idling, but I just have a stock V6, so not sure if that helps. Along with the idling, I had some other problems (please see my other post), and my mechanic suggested the distributor assembly, and crank angle sensor. Does this sound right?<p>Thanks.
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

It may very well be the distributor on yours....when I had the K8 in mine, I think the distributor was replaced twice, once with me and another before I owned the car.
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by curtklze:
I have the same setup as you and Im haveing the same problems.<p>when cold, my car also runs super rich(black exhaust smoke) and has a bad missfire on part throttle acceleration untill the car warms up then it runs sweet(good).<p>does yours do the same? <p>If so I think its the corksport computer, I will probably get a real ze computer if I check all the sensors and they check out good.<hr></blockquote><p>Mine does exactly the same as well.......so is the stock/true ZE ecu a direct swap...does it utilize our MX-3 wiring and same harness'? Where do I get one?
clickhere

Post by clickhere »

my 1.8 used to have a rythmic fluctuation in the idle, however it started just fine and was not running rich. I found some cracks in the intake hose but dont know if that was the problem, it eventually went away.
KNOCKOUT

Post by KNOCKOUT »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by clickhere:
my 1.8 used to have a rythmic fluctuation in the idle, however it started just fine and was not running rich. I found some cracks in the intake hose but dont know if that was the problem, it eventually went away.<hr></blockquote><p>Mine also starts just fine, it just just idles pretty rough on cold starts. <p>You said that the rythmic fluctuation eventually went away, now was that after you fixed the cracks in the intake hose or not?
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

mine is from tb preheater mod<p>try to f - around with the air bypass screw? on the top of the tb<p>put the diagnostic jumper(obd1) if the fan comes on the tps needs adjusting.<p>the ze is a direct hook up if you find one buy 3 cause they are hard to find
13.023 @ 105 mph

Post by Guest »

I had that exact problem, turns out it was my idle control valve, i think thats what it was called, it controls the idle according to the temp of the engine, anyways cost me 600+labour for a new one. when i got the car it was unplugged so i didnt know about the problem. when i would start my car could it would idle between 2 and 3 grand, then once it heated up the reving up and down started, if you turn on your a/c it will stop it momentarily, maybe just unplug it?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”