Damn COLD car HATES it

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
marksoden

Damn COLD car HATES it

Post by marksoden »

Looking for some fresh ideas on what could be causing me eternal grief. The problem is 10 times worse in the cold (minus 30 with wind chill here in toronto today...which is pretty much the same in Celsius AND Fahrenheit).<p>Start car up - as soon as I start to pull away, orange engine light comes on. It stays on for as long as I accelerate - then goes off when I take my foot off the gas. While the engine light is on, it's like there is an electrical drain on my car...lights, fans...all dim...sometimes the car even almost stalls.<p>I've had the alternator replaced three times due to various mechanics just blaming it on improper timing of the alternator. It solved nothing in each case.<p>I also had the mechanic replace the VAF with a working one (from whitefish!) but the problem still remained (so now I have two VAFs).<p>Here's the catch...when I'm on the highway cruising at 120+ the engine seems happy. No engine light, no problems! <p>That makes me think air intake (VAF) again...<p>I'm anxiously awaiting the great minds of this forum to give me their diagnosis...and thanks for reading this long post. :(
---------
94 Black MX3 GS Manual
andy

Re: Damn COLD car HATES it

Post by andy »

I will be the first to say I'm not sure.
But here are some of the things I would do as a
check. measure the voltage of the battery,car not running. Measure the voltage at the battery with the car running, and in your case have a second person raise the RPM's while I was watching the voltage.
Clean the battery terminals.
check the tension of the belts.
Might be a belt tensioner seizing up.
If all that looks good then I'm at a loss.
Andy P. 93 GS
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

Yeah... my guess would be a belt or even one of the belt wheels are siezing up.
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

hows your gas mileage?
O2 sensors?
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
andy

Post by andy »

I'm going to second that on the o2 sensors.
they can make the engine light come on intermittantly. I don't think they would cause the lights to dim.

Andy P. 93 GS
sep42

Post by sep42 »

a simple paperclip and 1min of your time. Run the diagnostics, and be sure.<p>http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=23&t=000005<p> :) <p>(damn hyperlinks)
[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: S.N. ]<p>[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: S.N. ]</p>
http://www.nerdinthebox.com <- cheap domains, web hosting and other network services.
marksoden

Post by marksoden »

I appreciate the responses...<p>I will take the one minute of my time and do the paper-clip engine code test...although every mechanic that I've taken the car to has given me one code or another that after replacing some sensor or part did nothing. But for kicks, I will check and then proceed to get the belt tensioners a going over. I'll have to check receipts, but I believe the O2 sensors were one of 5 things replaced in the last 2 years to try to rectify this problem. <p>The last frustrated mechanic just blamed it on bad wiring which was funny to me in a make-me-want-to-pull-my-hair-out sort of way. I'll keep you posted.<p>ps the electrical power-drain in the car during the engine light is the most obvious symptom. So belts seem to be a more likely problem than an 02 sensor...esp since their is NO problem when on the highway...
---------
94 Black MX3 GS Manual
aaronthehic

Post by aaronthehic »

if the car starts everytime then the charge system is o.k<p>dissconnect and reconnect all the conectors in the engine bay. I had a lean problem from a bad connection.<p>possible tpi?<p>it sounds like an electrical short and when you accelerate it makes contact?<p>do you have an amp?<p>check for cuts in wire harness :shrug: <p>maybe the chaging wire from the alternator?<p>a short may explain why your alt keeps geting fried.<p>[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: aaron the hic ]</p>
13.023 @ 105 mph
Justin Evans

Post by Justin Evans »

This reply will not be of much help except to reassure you that you are not alone.<p>I have the same problem with my engine light, only when it's cold and I first start the car (because I'm in / it starts / I'm gone / No warmup) but I don't get any drain on my electrical.<p>Please POST here if you find the problem because I too am eternaly haunted by this.
Quartermaster92Y@hotmail.com
***DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!!***
marksoden

Post by marksoden »

Haven't been out to my car yet to read the possible stored codes, but will do that this weekend. Just wanted to say that I think Aaron the hic is on to the problem...a short...frying my alternator...break in wiring somewhere...<p>I had an amp but it was stolen a month ago along with my cd player...so I doubt the wires left behind are putting much of a drain on the system.<p>Suppose it is a shorted wire...as has been brought up as a possibility before by mechanics...what kind of work is involved in replacing the harness/wires? That may be the ultimate solution.
---------
94 Black MX3 GS Manual
Rich MX3

Post by Rich MX3 »

Like the last message I replied to, I'll give the same advice. Check your vacuum lines for leaks. Exact same symptoms I had a few weeks ago, engine light came on and bad rough idling like it was going to stall. Be sure to check both sides. My leak was not in the most obvious place that's why it was so hard to find.
Richard Y.<BR>'94 Black GS<BR>Stock V6, minor mods

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”