Alternator? Battery? HELP?!?!?!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MeAndMyMX3

Alternator? Battery? HELP?!?!?!

Post by MeAndMyMX3 »

Here's my problem. The lights on my car (headlights, taillights, dashlights) have been flickering for a couple weeks now. I didn't pay much attention to it, but I did make an appointment to get it checked out.<p>Yesterday, my car finally died while I was driving. All the lights went out, fan stopped working, then a couple minutes later the car just died. Now I don't know a whole lot about what goes on under the hood of a car, so I asked a few people for advice. I've been told two different things: it could be a bad alternator, or a bad distributor.<p>Can anyone tell me what you think the problem may be? Like I said, I don't know a whole lot, and I am very worried about my car right now. The other thing I noticed before it died is that while the car is cold and has just been started, it is very loud and makes occasional squealing noises until the engine is warm.<p>Any help is very much appreciated. I'm dying here and I desparately need help. Thanks in advance.
o0mx30o

Re: Alternator? Battery? HELP?!?!?!

Post by o0mx30o »

im pretty sure its your alternator, the same thing happend to me about a month ago, just take your alternater out if u know how and take it to a alternator repair shop they will find out whats wrong and fix it could be anywhere from 20$-290$cnd to fix
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Squealing could mean the alternator drive belt is slipping - that could be because its not sufficiently tight, or because the alternator has seized.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
MeAndMyMX3

Post by MeAndMyMX3 »

Thanks for the tips guys. If it is the alternator, then I feel a little better since it's a lot cheaper to fix. I'll let you know how it goes (takin it to the mechanic tomorrow)
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

alternator parts are quite cheap, but they are a pain in the *** to put into the k8 motor. Good luck with the car though...<p>p.s. did you check all of your fuses and try resetting the ECU? Sometimes thats all it takes..it worth a shot, considering its free.
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
MeAndMyMX3

Post by MeAndMyMX3 »

Well I got it checked out. The alternator and the belt were bad... among a billion other things.<p>I'm mad. I had this car inspected by Mazda before I bought it and they said there were no problems. Then why is it that they are telling me NOW (only a month after I bought it) that I have two severe oil leaks that left my engine dry, as well as several other problems that will cost me $1200 in repairs? I'm mad... but can you blame me?<p>How Mazda could **** up on an inspection like that is beyond me... and I have to sit here and suck it up and take it. Go figure.
marksoden

Post by marksoden »

they knew you'd be back. and you are. and they're going to rip you off just like they do everyone else that goes to them for repairs.
---------
94 Black MX3 GS Manual
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MeAndMyMX3:
Well I got it checked out. The alternator and the belt were bad... among a billion other things.<p>I'm mad. I had this car inspected by Mazda before I bought it and they said there were no problems. Then why is it that they are telling me NOW (only a month after I bought it) that I have two severe oil leaks that left my engine dry, as well as several other problems that will cost me $1200 in repairs? I'm mad... but can you blame me?<p>How Mazda could **** up on an inspection like that is beyond me... and I have to sit here and suck it up and take it. Go figure.<hr></blockquote><p>rules of auto maintenance and repair:
#1. NEVER GO TO THE DEALER!.
#2. If you can do it yourself......do it.
#3. If the price is over $1000, get a 2nd opinion.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
MeAndMyMX3

Post by MeAndMyMX3 »

Well I'm not taking the car to them to fix it. I just took it there so they could tell me what was wrong (and I never expected that many problems!)
A friend is fixing it all for me. He's managed to fix most of it, but he says its still leaking oil like crazy and there is oil in the coolant. He says he cant see any leaks, but he knows it is leaking. Any suggestions?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”