QUICK newun needs help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
markV6

QUICK newun needs help

Post by markV6 »

I bought a v6 today :) ... cool car >>>
only trouble is it's now started tapping.
We checked everything possible on the engine when i bought it so i may have broke it.
It's coming from somewhere around the left hand side of the manifold.<p>CAN ANYONE GI ME SOME IDEAS WHERE TO START / WHAT IT MIGHT BE
Hy300

Re: QUICK newun needs help

Post by Hy300 »

I'll simply copy & paste my reply:<p>Here's the deal, if it gets louder with RPM its deposit buildup in the HLA's. This isn't a good thing, but it can be flushed out. A wonderful referance and a site you should bookmark is Jeff Abrams' www.mazdamaniac.com
Go to the site, click on the picture of the MX-3 on the left. In the top left corner will be a menu, move your mouse over it, move to maintance, then go to De-Carbon or Carbon Knock. Follow the instructions, or you can try to find a garage to do it for you.<p>Every K series engine, as you have, will develop a ticking noise that comes from either the HLA (Hydraulic Lifters) or the Cam-Friction Gear which is designed to create a perfectly silent engine. However either one of these will eventually develop a ticking noise that is slightly audible below 2000rpm. Most people will attest though that it is your HLA's, I found that after an oil change or any time the noise is prevalant, if I hold my RPM at 3000 for around three or four minutes that the noise will disappear. It simply pumps up your HLA's with oil and eliminates the ticking.<p>Good Luck to you, and welcome to the Board

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”