Hard Starting

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gippo

Hard Starting

Post by Gippo »

I'm new to the MX3 game, I have 92, 1.8, I just got it and it is hard starting. I think it is the fuel pump, any other guesses. Once it's running for awhile and I shut it down it starts great. It idles great and purrs like a kitten just doesn't start great. Need your help MX3ers [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
A vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Gippo

Re: Hard Starting

Post by Gippo »

Had a mechanic tell me that my starting problem could be a temperature sensor, his reasoning was that it was only hard starting after the engine sat for awhile. Does anybody else think this is the case? Sure would like to know before I start replacing a bunch of sensors.<B>null</B> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

are your fans on all the time?
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Gippo

Post by Gippo »

No my fans aren't on all of the time, I assume you are talking about my engine cooling fan. I'm not sure what temp sensor he was talking about but I'm guessing it's one of the sensors that tells the computer how much gas to send to the injector. I really don't know, as I mentioned before it works great once it's started and starts great after the initial start but if I shut it down for ten minutes or so it's hard to start again. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Gippo

Post by Gippo »

<B>FOUND THE PROBLEM</B> Thanks for trying to help MX3ers but I have found my starting problem. One of the injectors was leaking back and draining. If you have the same problem, check your injectors by pulling off the plenum and see if your injector is draining. It's about a $300.00 fix (canadian) if you get a dealer to do it. THANKS AGAIN :p
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

Cool you found out what was wrong.As far as the temp sensor goes,I had a broken temp sensor, the little porcelin one near the distributor cap, it made me have ruff starts. Just a thought though. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
Gippo

Post by Gippo »

To 992mmx3 was the temp sensor expensive. Who knows I mey need one of those too.<BR>Thanks for your reply :)
mirage-mx3

Post by mirage-mx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Crash Test Dummy:
FOUND THE PROBLEM Thanks for trying to help MX3ers but I have found my starting problem. One of the injectors was leaking back and draining. If you have the same problem, check your injectors by pulling off the plenum and see if your injector is draining. It's about a $300.00 fix (canadian) if you get a dealer to do it. THANKS AGAIN :p <hr></blockquote><p>i think my car has the same problem , i'm from sweden and don't understand all the technical words :p , "pulling of the plenum" .. what is the plenum and where it's located?<p>regards Jari
Gippo

Post by Gippo »

To Mirarge-MX3 - Unless you are mechanically inclined and have all of the tools I would suggest that you let your automotive technician check it out for you. The plenum is the housing that encases your fuel injectors. I did not repair mine myself I had a mechanic do it. It cost me about $300.00 Canadian. Good luck. You may also have a weak fuel pump. A simple check is to turn your key on for 2 seconds, not to the start position, shut the key off. Do this 3 times and then start the car normally. If it starts OK you have a weak fuel pump. Hope this helps. :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”