Shrill whining sound - ring any bells?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
IanL
Supporting Member

Shrill whining sound - ring any bells?

Post by IanL »

My K8 is running well, but I've just started to hear this noise. Its a bit like a turbo spooling up, or ignition interference with the radio, but I don't have a turbo, and, yes, it happens with the radio off.<P>It seems to start about 2000 rpm, and stop at about 2700, but only on lightish throttle, or overrun. Its not always there, but I usually get it at some point every day.<P>I notice that the VRIS valves open at 1900 rpm and close at 2600. Could be a coincidence; maybe not?<P>I'd very much appreciate any suggestions.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
Psyrg

Re: Shrill whining sound - ring any bells?

Post by Psyrg »

I was about to suggest a bearing problem, but if it only exists in a small range it could be an intake problem. I know my engine whistles as it draws air, especially when cold, but I do not believe the whistle in my cars case is a problem.<p>[ November 29, 2002: Message edited by: Psyrg ]
MX#3

Post by MX#3 »

I have loud whistle it is always there at this range of rpm. I think it might be transmission or axels maybe? Since I put my winter tires it’s even louder now.
dylanmx3

Post by dylanmx3 »

Man...I hear a shrill whining sound around 4000rpm...but I beleive it's that ratty little Civic next to me because I hit that sweet little jump in the torque curve and blew the doors off him!! :D
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Thanks for the replies, chaps. I'm inclined towards the air leak idea, so I'll concentrate there first.<P>I don't think its transmission or axles in my case; it happens with the car stationary, in or out of gear, and with the clutch in or out.<P>As regards the winter tyres, could it be that they make less high frequency noise, so you can just hear it more easily?<P>Seeing Dylan gets the noise at 4000 rpm, I'm guessing its not a Civic ;), but it could be something to do with VRIS valve No. 1, which opens at 3900. A leak in the servo Vacuum line would fit, but would it make a whistle that rises in pitch with engine revs? I'll check the line.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”