Serious underhood work

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
treckrtj

Serious underhood work

Post by treckrtj »

I recently bought a nice-condition 1993 V6 GS MX-3. 130k miles. Good shape for the most part. Put a new set of tires, aligned the wheels, and cleaned and waxed it. Ran great! Under the hood needs some work, though. The whole air-intake system is kinda trashed. I want a new one. Any recomendations as to what kind and brand? When I changed the spark plugs, I found oil in one fo the cylindars. Not good. I get some pretty good smoke from the exhaust until it warms up. More than normal. So I am thinking that maybe the head gasket or something is ganked up. Any advice on what a rebuild requires? I can do all the work myself aslong as I don't need to weld a new engine block from a pile of toothpicks. Also, my passenger side automatic seatbelt is jammed. I just read recently that mazda made some sort of recall on the assemblies. Anybody out there had theirs replaced free of charge? Just curious, cause dealer quoted $700 bucks to order a new one. Any help in these areas would be great. Thanks a lot, and welcome me to the MX-3ing club.

Re: Serious underhood work

Post by Guest »

wll id say for after market intake prm is pretty good, you can find those on corksport.com for like $200, also do a search on making your own and i think you'll be pleased with the amount of info about that, later dude
andy

Post by andy »

The seatbelt recall should still apply.<BR>You should persue it more. It shouldn't cost you a dime. Find more info on the recall and bring that to the dealer and have it fixed for free. It should not matter wether your the first owner or the tenth.<P> If your burning oil its not the head gasket.<BR>It could be piston rings or valve guides.<BR> Keep in mind that the valve covers tend to leak oil into the spark plug wells, this oil sometimes makes it look like the oil was on the plug before you removed it but in fact came from the leaky valve cover.<BR> Andy P. 93 GS
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

i know the seat belt recall still applies...i had an appt. to get it done a while ago, but i had to cancel it. the guy in tech said i wouldn't have to pay a cent.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”