Rough or Odd Idle

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
millionflame

Rough or Odd Idle

Post by millionflame »

Whenever I am in neutral, or idling, my RPMs are going up and down. They don't change by any huge amount just about 100 rpms or so (500 to 650 or so). Sometimes my car will stall, but usually it will just feel like its going to.<P>Could this be a dirty/bad fuel filter?<BR>Bad distributor??<BR>Dirty fuel intjectors???<P>Thanks for the help.<BR>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
David Coleman

Re: Rough or Odd Idle

Post by David Coleman »

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me. Check your intake boot for tears, and any loose vacuum lines.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
valkyire

Post by valkyire »

i had the exact same problem, only worse, and i changed my spark plugs and it was fine. but like david said, it could be a vaccum leak..<p>[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: valkyire ]
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

How do you check for vacuum leaks? All my hoses are connected, but I don't exactly know how to check for a leak.<P>Should I just buy new silicone hosing?<BR>~A
Cacho

Post by Cacho »

You can use liquid soap and water in a spray bottle. Spray on vacum lines and see if idle changes when it does, you found your leak.<P>Try it!!
cashmoneyspeed

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

i never used liquid soap, but i know carb cleaner or brake cleaner will also make your idle change. You sometimes can hear a vacuum leak also. but remember it could be plugs, wires, cat. convertor clogged, etc...
SOLD - 93 GS Custom intake, exhaust, phenolic spacers, port matching, front upper strut bar, 17" wheels, dragon body graphics, black/white interior, sound system, tints, altezza tails & 3rd brake altezza, g-force front

'94 Caprice - rolling fast and low on 20's along with some custom goodies

'86 Regal - Hydraulics, custom wheels, custom paint, shaved, phantom top, leather, power, and lots of chrome

'92 - New import project in the works, should be out in '09
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

Soap & water is good for finding holes in tires when air is leaking out. I doubt that it's gonna change your idle when it gets sucked into any vacuum leaks. It might not be a good idea either, so don't anybody try that. Stick to the sensor-safe carb cleaner.
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Ya, so it WAS a tear in my intake boot. Friggin' thing was in one of those ribs on the back side of it, so of course I never spotted it until the carb cleaner went that way!<P>Oh well.<P>Thanks for the help.<P>~A
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

I just had the same thing happen to me. I just used some glue to fix the crack and now its back to normal. :)
Coodood

Post by Coodood »

My car is doing the same thing, so im gonna check it when it gets warmer out, how much did that boot cost by the way, or didyou glue it?
'93 mx-3 GS 1.8L v6
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Well, for now I just did the Red Green special and wrapped it in lots of duct tape. Tomorrow I'm taking to get a shop to make me an aluminum one with the vacuum ports and everything.<P>~A

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”