Re: putting a BPT into a V6 model car?

Post by Gro Harlem »

bump
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
pDhMiBsh

Post by pDhMiBsh »

OKay since everyone is talking about taking the v6 out and putting in a 4 cyl I'm taking out the 4cyl and putting in the v6 now everything seems to make sense except for the motor mounts and wiring harness. now i realize that i ahve to weld the new motor mounts in cuz there is no cut out holes there for them right??????? also the wiring harness i need the engine fuse box out of the mx-6 right???? if that is so do i need the wiring harness that goes into the fuse box in the engine becuase the wireing harness splits into 2 pieces right after the ecu one half goes to the engine the other goes over to the drivers side then out into the fender into the fuse box do i need the ENTIRE harness or just the engine harness??????
www.krazykustomz.com 1994 Blaze Red V6 2.5 in the works, 1995 eclipse gsx (winter beater haha)
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

Why not just use a RS and add the fancy GS bits to it? :shrug:
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
Mradio

Post by Mradio »

I don't think RS's came with the sunroof.... :p
Check out my ride and leave some feedback please!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mradio007
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Vicious:
Why not just use a RS and add the fancy GS bits to it? :shrug: <hr></blockquote><p>
think about how much work that would be. I'd have to get the folllowing:
-rear tie bar (with longer bolts)
-power windows, locks and mirrors
-cruise control (including steering wheel with the buttons)
-rear spoiler
-front lip, and mudguards
-rear disc brake conversion
-quicker steering ratio steering rack
-i'd STILL need a protege transmission
-i'd still need to swap out the motor
-and i'd need to get GS hubs, front disc brakes so the axles could pop in.
-Plus if i wanted it to look like a GS i'd need the nicer seats and 15" wheels
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
<p>
think about how much work that would be. I'd have to get the folllowing:
-rear tie bar (with longer bolts)
-power windows, locks and mirrors
-cruise control (including steering wheel with the buttons)
-rear spoiler
-front lip, and mudguards
-rear disc brake conversion
-quicker steering ratio steering rack
-i'd STILL need a protege transmission
-i'd still need to swap out the motor
-and i'd need to get GS hubs, front disc brakes so the axles could pop in.
-Plus if i wanted it to look like a GS i'd need the nicer seats and 15" wheels
<hr></blockquote><p>
rs' came with power options, my mirrors are power, and its the lowest model out there.
:shrug: My car also came with mudgaurds, who cares about the gs axles, get the protege lx ones. Didn't even know that gs came with different seats, I personally like the 92-93 ones better than the later ones anyways. You can get after market steering knuckles for better steering response if you really need it that bad, the rs doens't handle that badly at all. The heavier v6 would require more suspension components anyways to compensate for the wieght. Just swap to the ZE or put it in the protege.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

GS dont with any better seats, the years just vary (92/93 versus 94+)
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

So all mx3's have the same nice "recaro-made" seats?? i did not know that.<p>I still don't understand why you guys are trying to convince me to "just put a KLZE in". I have the BPT sitting in my garage, why would I waste the effort I put into getting my GTR motor, as well as the cash required to get a KLZE (which by the way, WOULD be more expensive than my BPT motor)?<p> I'd rather do the swap anyways b/c not many people have done it, and it would be a good learning experience for me, plus i'd put a "how to" page online for people to learn from. I know the KLZE is a great engine with lots of potential, but I'd prefer sticking with a lighter 4-banger with a turbo instead of a heavier V6 that would be difficult to turbocharge. I would consider a KLZE swap if I owned a 626, probe or MX6, but since I arleady have the bpt, might as well put it in a mx3 since they are more mechanically simliar to a Protege than they are to a MX6.<p>After doing research I have determined that I will only need to get these parts to get the BPT to work:<p>1: Mazda 4-cylinder G series transmission
2: MX3 RS crossmember and transmission brackets
3: MX3 GS axles
4: MX3 RS passenger engine mount bracket (maybe the GS one is the same? i haven't confirmed it, but this is a cheap, easy to get part, so I will just buy it from the yard when i go there next)
5: BPT ECU and harness (already have)
6: MAYBE i would need a 4-cylinder MX3 shifter linkage and arm...not sure if the mounting positions are the same (i believe they are actually).<p>Perhaps i'm missing something obvious, but those are the only parts I see that I will need to get this swap to work.<p>Thanks for your help!! Hopefully this will happen. I already located a Red 93' GS with a blown transmission for $500 in my area. I am going to look at it this weekend :)
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

If you already have a gs, why would you still need to get gs axles? Also, there are places that will custom make axels for you, they also slap on a nice little lifetime guarantee. I'm not trying to disuade you from a project by the way, I was just suggesting puting the gtr in the lx and the ZE in the mx-3, or get an rs. The list above was just to tell you that your list wasn't all correct. By the way, I have a '92 mx-3 rs, and they would ahve the same seats as a 92-93 gs. Good luck with whatever you do, but if you haven't bought a gs yet, look for an rs with all the options if thats sooo necassary. I like manual everything (with exception of power mirrors) less weight with the actautors and motors and its only 3 1/4 cranks to get the small window down.<p>[ April 09, 2003: Message edited by: 992mmx3 ]<p>[ April 09, 2003: Message edited by: 992mmx3 ]</p>
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

actually the only options i really care about are the rear disc brakes, and cruise control (i do a lot of travelling at night...CC makes it easy!!). The power windows and locks don't bother me. I like power mirrors however, i feel they are safer to have instead of having to reach over the car to adjust them.<p>I have been looking for RS's as well...but most MX3's seem to be either automatic RS's or 5spd GS's. I'll take the latter.<p>BTW: i have the mx3 seats you are talking about in my Protege right now. They are the nicest seats i've ever sat in. I had some corbeau racing seats before and I didn't like them as much, more shoulder support but NO thigh support which made long trips very tiring to my left leg :( . These MX3 seats do all of that in once nice package :p (plus they sit 2" lower than my proteges old seats, so now i actually have legroom)
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”