cutout?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
viocurse

cutout?

Post by viocurse »

On my z28, i had a cutout. it sounded mean as hell. What does a cutout sound like on a 1.8l v6? Is it all raspy and honda sounding? or does the mazda v6 have a deeper tone? on the camaro i got about 15rwhp from it, so i figure it might do a bit to the mx-3, but if it sounds bad its a no-go. anyone ever heard one, or done it themselves?
Cam
Teal 1992 MX-3 5-spd
:1.8liters of V6 fury, 2 shiny tips:
:for sale:
MazdaSpeed?
lazzyie

Re: cutout?

Post by lazzyie »

what the hell is a cutout?
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

its a two way pipe that looks similar to the letter y that you install before the cat. theres usually a wire or leaver you install in the interior and when you pull it or whatever the exhaust gases exit at the cutout before the cat. like a headers down exhaust. but you control it. when its closed its like a regular exhaust going through the muffler.<BR>iv been debating this myself but havent tried it yet.<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
5spd_GS

Post by 5spd_GS »

i seriously havent ever heard of anyone with an MX3 doing this... :eek: <P>u sure you wanna try!?
Calen Sansom
1994 MX-3 GS Sparkle Green
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

the previous owner of my car had one on, just makes you drone through the power band, does absolutely nothing for your performance. Just take your muffler off and drive around for awhile.. you'll see
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
viocurse

Post by viocurse »

There was no lever for mine on the camaro. I had a little flange that was held over the opening by welded in bolts and 3 wing nuts. this website shows exactly what i fabbed up for my car. <A HREF="http://www.installuniversity.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.installuniversity.com/</A> click on "install documents" then "cutout explanation"<P>So you say it won't do much hp wise? why? some of you have full exhaust systems... that helps right? this deal gives the same hp gains since instead of a high flow muffler and cat, you have neither in your way.<P>I just want to know how bad (or possibly good?) it's gonna sound. someone on my f-body board did it to is v-6 firebird... it wasn't a pretty sound.
Cam
Teal 1992 MX-3 5-spd
MazdaSpeed?
viocurse

Post by viocurse »

one more note...<P>even if it sounds ugly and from the lack of backpressure my torque is cut in half, i can just cap it off and cut my $30 loss. :D
Cam
Teal 1992 MX-3 5-spd
MazdaSpeed?
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

the mazda 1.8L v6 is torque-starved as it is... using it will make accelleration almost unbearable. The only instance in which it may deliver power would be at highway speeds. Its up to you whether or not its worth the lack of push in the lower power band.<P>On the 2.5L platform it may serve use but thats just a guess as i removed mine as soon as i heard i had it (sounded like and exhaust leak due to the butterfly not sealing properly).
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”