resistor making horsepower?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cashmoneyspeed

resistor making horsepower?

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

Anyone know anything about the resistors they sell on e-bay? What kind is it and has anyone tried it? any gains?
SOLD - 93 GS Custom intake, exhaust, phenolic spacers, port matching, front upper strut bar, 17" wheels, dragon body graphics, black/white interior, sound system, tints, altezza tails & 3rd brake altezza, g-force front

'94 Caprice - rolling fast and low on 20's along with some custom goodies

'86 Regal - Hydraulics, custom wheels, custom paint, shaved, phantom top, leather, power, and lots of chrome

'92 - New import project in the works, should be out in '09
aaronthehic

Re: resistor making horsepower?

Post by aaronthehic »

Explain? :(
13.023 @ 105 mph
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

a bigger resistor only flows more amps of electricity. iono how it can help produce more hp in any way.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
cashmoneyspeed

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

Well from what i can tell, a resistor is installed either in the wiring to the tps or some other sensor that somehow advances the timing and adds horsepower. It says to use high octane (93) gasoline with the mod.<BR>i was just wondering if anyone has purchased or installed this on their car. if you go to e-bay and search mx 3 you will find this "timing mod"
SOLD - 93 GS Custom intake, exhaust, phenolic spacers, port matching, front upper strut bar, 17" wheels, dragon body graphics, black/white interior, sound system, tints, altezza tails & 3rd brake altezza, g-force front

'86 Regal - Hydraulics, custom wheels, custom paint, shaved, phantom top, leather, power, and lots of chrome

lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

timing mod is crap, it tells the ecu that there is colder air comming in and the computer dumps more fuel, no it does not work, nothing on ebay short of REAL forced induction creates horsepower
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
dam2009

Post by dam2009 »

there is only 1 thing I bought on the e-bay about the mazda and it actually works for my ... mazda coffe mug!
5spd_GS

Post by 5spd_GS »

:D
Calen Sansom
1994 MX-3 GS Sparkle Green
cashmoneyspeed

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

The guy said that you unplug the IAT sensor and plug in the resistor, in turn making the ecm think the engine is running colder and thus advancing the timing. So of course mpg will suffer. Has anyone done this simple/cheap mod? I figure its only $6 and if i do it and it doesn't work then i get the experience and can warn others or possibly gain a little hp/tq .

lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

go buy the resistor for a $1 from radio shack
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

mann you dont need experience to know that doesnt work.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

I tried to fool around with the IAT and Water coolant sensor using variable resistors, and it doesn´t work. I´ve heard somebody sayimg that it has to do with a diode and a resistor, but man, I´m not very good with electronics!! [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
European Mx3 GsRT
Cacho

Post by Cacho »

Its a 1.2k ohm 1/2 watt resistor you can buy at RadioShack for less than a Dollar.<BR> You disconnect the first two wires of your airflow meter connector and install this resistor in between the two wires ,which is your IAT Sensor. What it does is actually giving your ECU a False reading that its taking in cold air. So the ECU advances your timing about 1.5 Degrees. Pumps more fuel and so on. Does it work?? Try it and you be the judge of it..
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

Is there any way to make it adjustable? It would be nice to advance or retard timing by yourself. If turbocharged won´t it be good to retard it a few degrees for safety and prevent knocking? If the same mod is done to the Coolant thermosensor, will this effect be enlarged?
European Mx3 GsRT
maldo

Post by maldo »

These have been tested, they don't work. You have been warned already, why would you want to see for yourself that you wasted money?
5spd_GS

Post by 5spd_GS »

:roll: <P>Go ahead and try it, just know that at least 5 people have told ya it wont work...
Calen Sansom
1994 MX-3 GS Sparkle Green

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”