Removing speedo cable

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Juddd_83

Removing speedo cable

Post by Juddd_83 »

Im trying to get my guage cluster out but the speedo cable is holding it back. Only way I can get to it is by reaching under the steering column with my hand. I can feel where the cable connects to the back of the cluster, but im unsure as to how to remove it from the back, I dont want to break anything. Is there an way to remove it. Would like to know because my guages are coming in soon!<p>Regards,
Justin
---------------------------
Finally a fellow MX-3er!!!!
Euro Tails (Clear Lense)
OEM RS Spoiler
Indiglo Guages
5000V Blue Ground Effects
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Re: Removing speedo cable

Post by neverenuff »

well I think it depends on the year I have a 92 rs and all I had to do was unscrew it from the tranny the cable comes out driver side firewall and goes right into top off tranny. I also have an automatic. I hope that helps.
Mo s Ricer

Post by Mo s Ricer »

or u can do it the easy way and just reach ur hand up the dash board from underneath and just pop the clip thing off and the cable slids right out
becarful not to bend the wireinside
mosricer is powerd by mx-3's,gen2 mr2's and of course SUBARU'S.
Live Life One Ride At A Time.
Juddd_83

Post by Juddd_83 »

yea but how does it pop out and oh yea I have a 93rs manual
Finally a fellow MX-3er!!!!
Euro Tails (Clear Lense)
OEM RS Spoiler
Indiglo Guages
5000V Blue Ground Effects
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

When I put my gauges in I was plauged with the same problem and when you reach up under the dash there is a plastic clip on the cable that seems impossible to get off but what I ended up doing was like turning it and it just clipped off... be careful not to break it, I dont want to have that hanging on my shoulders of you having a broken speedo cable.. that would be awful I am just saying that is what did it for me =)
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Seanthepizzadude65065

Post by Seanthepizzadude65065 »

This is strange, you guys have the problem of getting the cable out and i have the problem of keeping it plugged in, every time theres a large vibration to the car the damn thing falls out. But it just pops right on so it should be easy
14" 5 spoke PRIME rims, GS spoiler,180 Watt Sony Head unit with a 4 Polk Audio EX series speakers, Kicker Solo Baric 8" sub, StrandTec custom Air system, Blue under dash neon tube, Blue windsheld wipernozzle LEDS,straght-through dual tip exhaust, Belive it or not but, I did a 0-60 in 7.23 seconds!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/seanthemx3er
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I have a 93 RS, the easiest way is unscrewing the cable from the engine compartment. To find it, very easy. Mine goes from the sterring wheel side, just under the battery, going under the engine. Between the engine and battery, the cable has unlocking screws so you can unhook it. That's the easiest way.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Well when put gauge overlaying on Heather 92 RS I got the cable back on correctly but now the speedo is off by like 30mphs? Anyone find a trick to fix this? Also the damn gas gauge doesn't work.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”