350- 400 HP JDM 2.5L ?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
biggberger

350- 400 HP JDM 2.5L ?

Post by biggberger »

Hey I just put a JDM 2.5L in my '92 mx3 and my goal is to reach about 350-400 hp. I will do anything except put in a nitrous system. Can this be done and if so how much should I expect to spend? (in USD please)If it cant be done what would be the max hp I could expect from this engine? <BR> Thank you:<BR> Mike
lazzyie

Re: 350- 400 HP JDM 2.5L ?

Post by lazzyie »

Well you can supercharge it or turbocharge it, with more aggressive cams and a stroker kit, stock internals not good for 450-500hp need forged stuff, basically i say about $10000 including the quaife lsd gearbox you are going to need, you want that much hp buy a muscle car put $5000 in it and have all the fun in the world, good luck to you though
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
ikedogg

Post by ikedogg »

not really relating to your post... but good luck reaching those numbers... forged internals will definitely be needed as the KL-ZE's stock CR is 10.0:1, so turbocharging with any significant amount of boost would put that effective CR at a very high level, so be prepared to blow some pistons... but anyways, where is Dover at? i'm from Maumee.. right by Toledo
and konstantine is walking down the stairs...
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Ok, a couple things to look at. You say 350-400HP. Did you want that at the wheels or at the crank? How much money do you want to spend? You can squeeze about 300HP out of the KLZE engine with dtock internals. Sean Matthews is running a KLZE with I believe 8psi boost. Search probetalk.com for information about internals. There has been word that the 2JZ-GTE pistons will fit in the KLZE, and that ford (not sure year or model) rods will also work. This setup should be good for 20+ PSI boost, putting your HP figures around 400BHP with upgraded fuel, and air induction. You'll want the LSD also. You'll want to go to your local performance shop, not autozone mind you, but one that is fairly reputable with making modifications to imports. You want to ask them the prices to get a good estimate. I imagine if you do a custom turbo, and get the pistons and rods from wrecked cars and re-finished, you'd be looking at about $4000-$5000 for the whole setup. But I have no real idea what the cost would be. So to answer your queston, yes, it can be done. You'll prolly want to shot pein the crank. It's good for abour 500BHP, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
biggberger

Post by biggberger »

Well I dont care how much money it takes I have that. As for the hp it would be nice to have 400 at the wheels. The reason I went with the JDM engine was it's base hp is at 200. I have already installed an LSD tranny. I wont take it to a shop, a friend and I are doing the work ourselves. My friend won nopi nationals last year so between the two of us we know what we are doing. Just at this point I wanted a new project after just finishing up with my supra I still look for big hp and am addicted to boost.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

If you won the Nopi internationals, you should know that with enough money, anything is possible. You can get JE pistons and crower rods that should handle much more than 20psi. A custom crank, ported and polished heads, valve train work, and other minor mods, should be good for major HP numbers. Keep us posted on what's new.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
LiQuId

Post by LiQuId »

If you are going to do forced induction than why did you buy a high compression engine? :confused:
Manach

Post by Manach »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LiQuId:<BR><STRONG>If you are going to do forced induction than why did you buy a high compression engine? :) I learned a lot.
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”