Mazda6 220HP 3.0L V6 swap?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Silkwyrm

Mazda6 220HP 3.0L V6 swap?

Post by Silkwyrm »

Hey Guys,<BR> Any one looked into the new Mazda6. She's got a 3.0L 220 HP V6 Any chance that would fit in an MX-3? Even if the hood would have to be modified, that sounds sweet swap.
killerpickle

Re: Mazda6 220HP 3.0L V6 swap?

Post by killerpickle »

i thought they were putting a KLZE engine in that thing?....maybe im confused...sorry.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Psyrg

Post by Psyrg »

Looks like they are going to use a 3.0L V6 in the Mazda6, and by the looks of the images I've seen it looks like a promising swap for an MX3. Have a look at <A HREF="http://www.mazda.co.nz/tms/tms_model6_content2.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mazda.co.nz/tms/tms_model6_content2.html</A> for a bit more info.<P>Getting hold of one of these engines may be difficult however.
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

good Idea :D
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
Psyrg

Post by Psyrg »

I havnt been able to find much more about this engine yet, I may have to try e-mailing Mazda.
Evil G

Post by Evil G »

Hey Psyrg.... whereabouts in New Zealand are you? .... you thinking about a ZE swap at any stage???
'93 MX-3 (Eunos Presso)<BR>Custom Intake<BR>10mm ignition leads<BR>Straight through exhaust (no cats)<BR>Automatic->Manual trans. conversion
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

the 3.0 ford motor would have fit but its too big, go tubular and it would work! be cool to see if this engine would fit though
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Psyrg

Post by Psyrg »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Hey Psyrg.... whereabouts in New Zealand are you? .... you thinking about a ZE swap at any stage???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm in Christchurch, as an engineering student. There is no doubt to me making an engine swap on my car, and I have a crazy idea for spupercharging the engine. Mazda has has intersting sucesses with Millar type engines and Lysolm superchargers, and I hope to do something not too disimilar to that.<P>The new 3.0L V6 engine wouldnt be a bad start eh? :)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Well for what I have read its not a k series engine its a ford engine. It will not mount up to our trannies and chances are the mazda 6 probably is most common as an automatic. If this is a new motor its probably a newer style tranny. This coild get expensive. Its a 3.0L so fitting may be a big problem. Hell, you see how little room we have in our v6 bays. Plus mounting it to our chasis will be alot of work. Since we have different mounting points, you may have to drill some holes to get it to mount up, or trial and error. <BR>I dunno about you, but if I were gonan go all out, I'd get something I know would fit if I were gonna do some custom job such as this. Hell, make the worlds 1st "Monster MX-3" with the 5.0L mustang motor like the <A HREF="http://www.v8miata.com" TARGET=_blank>monster miata.</A>
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

another thing to consider is the fact that this engine ops out of using VRIS and uses a new system. This would require a new ECU and for you to replace the all the sensors that would adapt. This new engine alone will cost alot more than any KL-ZE for sale (unless you're buying from corksport that is) ;)<p>[ September 17, 2002: Message edited by: Sonicxtacy02 ]
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

Where do you get the idea this new V6 is in the mazda 6 car?...It has the new Inline 4 2.3L engine..or did I miss something? :o
Evil G

Post by Evil G »

As far as the engine is concerned, there are a few options as to what engine will be in the mazda 6.... the theory at this stage is a V6 3.0 and a I4 2.3 - two models. As for it being a Ford engine, I think you will find it is actually a Mazda design, assembled in a ford factory, with a mazda stamp on it. The design of the engine is loosely based around the KL design. Getting the engine to fit will not be a problem with a right hand drive MX-3. You may need a bell housing adapter on the gearbox, but this is unlikely, as I have a 1982 mazda 323 box in my garage that would bolt right up to my MX-3. As for worrying about the VRIS and all that stuff, I think if you were going to use this engine, and supercharge it (Like PSyrg is thinking about doing), and use a miller cycle, chances are you'd also be thinking about a standalone aftermarket computer setup like Autronic or Motec - <P>Why has everyone on this board gotta be so damning of any new idea..... Years ago before Vaughan Nashimura and Luc St. Pierre did a KLZE swap into an MX-3, they got laughed at by close minded people. Lets work on helping people rather than cutting them down.
'93 MX-3 (Eunos Presso)<BR>Custom Intake<BR>10mm ignition leads<BR>Straight through exhaust (no cats)<BR>Automatic->Manual trans. conversion
Evil G

Post by Evil G »

To Psyrg,<P>Awesome idea for a swap. Hope it works out for you. Bearing in mind that the Mazda 6 is still relatively new, it may be a better idea to stroke out a KLZE to 2.8L and work from there. You could try using 2JZ-GTE pistons to lower the compression and make it bullet proof (Those pistons are good for 700hp, the KLZE crank is good for 500hp - so the rods are the weak link)<P>As for the lysholm supercharger, would you just nick one off a KJ engine? ... and how do you plan on adjusting all the valves and timing to make these engines miller cycle? <P>I'm interested in the whole miller cycle thing, but have little knowledge of how it works - have you got any tech articles online??<P>cheers buddy,<P>hope to see you at the nats sometime soon :)
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpwmx3:<BR><STRONG>Where do you get the idea this new V6 is in the mazda 6 car?...It has the new Inline 4 2.3L engine..or did I miss something? :o</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If you just looked at the link for NEW ZEALAND Mazda posted in this thread, then I can see how you could get the idea the 6 will only have the I4. However, look at the North American site and take a look at the specifications.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Evil G:<BR><STRONG>As far as the engine is concerned, there are a few options as to what engine will be in the mazda 6.... the theory at this stage is a V6 3.0 and a I4 2.3 - two models.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>I don't believe there's any theory to it. Visit the Mazda site, those two engines are definitely going into production in the 6.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Evil G:<BR><STRONG>You may need a bell housing adapter on the gearbox, but this is unlikely, as I have a 1982 mazda 323 box in my garage that would bolt right up to my MX-3.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Your having a 20 year old tranny that bolts up to a 10 year old design really doesn't prove a damn thing as far as a new design goes.<BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Evil G:<BR><STRONG>Why has everyone on this board gotta be so damning of any new idea..... Years ago before Vaughan Nashimura and Luc St. Pierre did a KLZE swap into an MX-3, they got laughed at by close minded people. Lets work on helping people rather than cutting them down.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You know, I don't see any flaming at all in this thread. You must be overly sensitive or something.<BR>I see words of caution but they state WHY they are cautious instead of just throwing doubt on this idea for no reason.<BR>Realistically, I don't see this swap being feasible until the new 6 is at least 2 years old.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”