RPM's

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Seersh

RPM's

Post by Seersh »

My car (stock GS) seems to run really high RPM's. If I'm doing 120 km/h my RPM's are at about 4000. I just want to know if this is normal, and if not what can I do to get these RPMs down, without spending any serious money now. Thanks.<P>Saoirse_Graham@Stream.com - you can e-mail me if you like.
Better to slow down a little on wet roads or else this is what you get <A HREF="http://www.wreckedexotics.com/other/other247.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.wreckedexotics.com/other/other247.shtml</A> I miss my car .........but it'll be back soon!
93mx3gs

Re: RPM's

Post by 93mx3gs »

the gear ratio used on the mx-3 is 4.38, the pgt's and the mx-6's use the same tranny w/ a 4.11 gear ratio. That will give you a higher top speed and better gas milage, but you will lose acceleration
jpwmx3

Post by jpwmx3 »

People keep forgetting that our engine is like a motorcycle engine..very small pistons and displacement, so high RPM's are normal.
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Those are higher than mine. In 5th gear, at 4000 I'm doing around 130 kms +/- 2 kms or so. I noticed that once you get up in that range the smallest speed change is a HUGE rpm change. Kinda kewl. At 6500 I hit 230 kms.<P>On another note, who else has gone right to 8000 rpms on your car???<P>I did. Only once. I did it on a MX-3 I test drove. The motor sounds soo WICKED. Very close to a F1 motor if you got the right muffler too; the sound I mean, not actual motor.<P>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
pelado

Post by pelado »

I don't know about that F1 stuff. They don't use mufflers so they're so damn loud you'll damage your hearing is you don't use earplugs at a race!<P>I could hear the F1 cars practicing in Montreal while at an overlook on Mont Real. Pretty loud to be heard way up there.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
93mx3gs

Post by 93mx3gs »

I've had my RPM's up to 7800 then the fuel shutoff kicked in.
vuduben

Post by vuduben »

about the original question that's about what i've got... and i understand your frustration, my mom has a crv and at that speed i do somewhere in and about 3000 rpm... it would be nice to just change fifth to improve the milage. <P>about the second thing... i hit the end once when learning to power shift(shifting with out releasing the gas, i think it's called that) anyways yeah my baby didn't like it at all the revs went all wacked for a while and i had to wait on the clutch till the revs dropped all the way before it let me go into gear without grinding<P>yeah that's my two cents<P>peace :roll:
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

The cheapst way to bring down the revs at higher speeds is to put on taller tires.<P>switch from 205/55/15 to 205/75/15.<P>this WILL mess up your speedo, you will be going faster that what your speedo indecates but it should drop your rpms a little.<P>the other way is to put in a trans from a 626/mx-6/probe.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

I have a 2.5L swap and my RPM's are still high do to the gears... i wish there was a six speed for the car.... I have a 40 Mile drive to work every day and i need lower RPMs for gas. and a six speed would just drop jaws on people. anyone have a clue please let me know,, thanks
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

the only way to get 6speed is if you could put in an RX-7 tranny. <P>On a side note, in first or second gear I can take it to redline (somewhere like 7600-7900 depending on my acceleration) and it will hold at redline with VERY little rev drops if at all. My friends always think I'm racing because I normally shift at 5000-6000 rpms and my engine is so loud people look at me funny. The thing to understand is that this is normal for the engine. JPWMX3 put it best when he said that our engine is much like a motorcycle's engine, small pistons and high revs. I hate to say that there are some local Harley's around that are louder than me (local production plant as well, lots of Harley pride), but really, what should <I>naturally</I> be louder than a Harley.<P>The high rpms and mild cams aren't a bad thing either, one can take their mighty V6 to redline with little worry of floating a valve or majorly damaging the engine, so long as you don't keep it at redline for more than a second or two. And as long as you aren't using any form of forced induction. I've taken mine to 120mph in fourth gear, somewhere around 7500rpms. It takes a lot to keep up with a mustang let me tell you. I think the only unfortunate thing is that 5th gear has some terrible acceleration.<p>[ September 14, 2002: Message edited by: Hy300 ]
eunosads

Post by eunosads »

AFAIK engines are built so you can safely drive at redline for hours on end.. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] <P>the only problem I see with the high revving thing is the gas mileage.. otherwise I looooooove my high revving engine..
- EUNOS 30X -
93mx3gs

Post by 93mx3gs »

Hy300, I think that it would be very hard to get an rx7's tranny to work in a mx3 since our engines are set up for a front wheel drive tranny, and the rx7 is a rear wheel drive. however you can get a custom 6speed gearbox from <A HREF="http://www.quaife.com" TARGET=_blank>www.quaife.com</A> and <A HREF="http://www.xtrac.com" TARGET=_blank>www.xtrac.com</A> <BR>thanks to David Coleman for those links
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

I know what you mean by the rx-7 tranny, I was trying to get across the fact if you do a little looking someone will realize what a b---- it would be to turn the rotate the engine and everything else just to get RWD and a new tranny. I doubt an RX-7 tranny would even match up. Thanks for those links though for the Six-Speed transmission.
93mx3gs

Post by 93mx3gs »

I don't know how much of a headache and $$'s this guy went through, but in the Mar. 01 Super Street Mag. a guy named Marcos Acosta has a rotary powered MX-3, he ran 7.74 @174!!
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

Makes sense, get a 13B, boost it up to about 400hp and bolt it to the MX-3's ultralight chassis. You'll be smoking funny cars with that.<p>[ September 15, 2002: Message edited by: Hy300 ]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”