klze gas mileage

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
David Coleman

Re: klze gas mileage

Post by David Coleman »

I just got 18mpg city, 26 highway by reconnecting my FPR vac line. That did nothing but hurt the wallet [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img].
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

does anyone consider revs in this equation. Spirited driving, what exactly do you mean, do you mean you take it up to 75 on the highway in 5th. Maybe you turn hard or take a turn too fast.<P>Shift points for the 1.8L<BR>1st to 2nd: 14mph (23km/h)<BR>2nd to 3rd: 24mph (39km/h)<BR>3rd to 4th: 33mph (53km/h)<BR>4th to 5th: 43mph (69km/h)<P>I'd say you can add on about 5mph, say 7kph, to these and that would be about what the KLZE manual might read. So unless you are shifting at those points expect to be getting less than you expected. Look at it this way, you're getting 22mpg out of a seven or eight year old engine that probably has its quirks. Enjoy the fact that you're getting honda mileage at 40 or 50 more horsepower.

Post by Guest »

I don't know how many mpg I get. I do know that I get 250km (km's not miles, i'm canadian) to a full tank of gas, IF i'm lucky. I know before I had my ZE installed I made a trip up to montreal. All highway driving. Averaged out to 35mpg with a max of 39mpg. I live about 10-12km from my work. If I'm late in the morning and drive it hard to work, it's not uncommon for me to burn a quarter tank of gas. The worst I've ever gotten is 160km out of a full tank, but that was pretty hard driving. I tried replacing plugs, wires, had to isntall a new distributor 'cause mine went on me, also just had the o2 sensors changed last week. All with no results. I figure it must just be normal.
Smokin mx-3

Post by Smokin mx-3 »

if you get the kl-ze ecu your gas mileage will improve<BR>mine did
93 mx-3 gs/se

Post by 93 mx-3 gs/se »

What was your mileage with the 1.8 ECU and what was your mileage with the ZE ECU?
Jspec

Post by Jspec »

i have been tryin to locate a kl-ze ecu. where did you get yours?
Live your life a quarter mile at a time!! Payback is a mother!!
vseved

Post by vseved »

You HAVE TO use a 2.5 VAF and 2.5 (KL) ECU with the 2.5 engine. I just swapped a highly modified 2.5 KL03 engine (regrinded cams, higher compression, ported heads, 64 mm TB, 13 lbs flywheel) in my MX-3. While runing on the K8 computer fuel consumption went up 50% compared to the old K8 engine. Also on cold start in the morning the K8 ECU was flooding the engine with fuel, it barely run for a minute before warming slightly. After a few days I replaced the ECU and VAF with both KL versions. Now the mileage is back at K8 levels. It also solved idle problems. <P>This is it, find a KL ECU and VAF to run the 2.5 engine beeing it ZE or plain 03. <P>And yes, it's a beast :-)
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Note: I let my mom borrow the pink car for the weekend [I needed the '00 Odyssey EX for carrying people around]. She got 26-27mpg city with it. And that was with my dad taking it around and winding it out a bit at a few lights ;)
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Cacho

Post by Cacho »

I think 24 to 30 mpg would be the average for everyone with Kl or K8. You have to keep in mind that we didn't do the swap to get more mpg. We did it for speed and power and to seriously keep Hondas bragging rights to minnimum. I think thats fair enough. Has anyone try upgrading the ignition system to Jacobs Ignitions? This helps a lot.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Oh wow this sorta makes me feel bad, right now i have a stock (well i think the engine is stock but have been finding little non stock items here and there) 1.8 gs its got 144k miles, and my gas miledge SUCKS, i get exactly 153 miles till my gas light comes on, i dont really drive to aggrasive on the highway, i do an average of 80mph, but considering its cheap to fill my car up usually only 10 bucks its not that bad, and i just added some platinum plugs so now i get a few more extra miles, but it seems the ZE gets better gas miledge than my car stock now GOOD!!!! more motivation to get a one :)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Taras

Post by Taras »

Same as Mx-3 SLO I had MX-3 ECU/VAF combo, but ECU was modified. Bad mileage, cold start problems. Of course you can use S-AFC or Greddy E-manage to fix all that. Got KL-03 ECU/VAF. Smooth as a new car, cold start nice, no more sooty exhaust (running rich, better mileage. Have not totally figured it yet, because just swapped it. Feels almost the same. The other thing to consider for all calculating mileage is not when your gas light goes (it varies), but how many gallons/litres you fill in the tank and how far you go on that.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
eunosads

Post by eunosads »

I get about 18-20mpg (12L/100km) on my K8 and most of my driving is done to and from the train station.. which is only about 10 minutes drive away. The reason my mileage is so crappy is that most of my driving is done when my engine is cold.. therefore running rich, and quite often I am running late, so it gets driven reasonable hard then too.. <P>highway driving I get 30 easy.. and that's certainly not changing into 5th gear at 69kph.. I usually change into 5th at around 110-120kph (I'm in australia).. <P>I am not expecting my ZE to give me better mileage numbers.. but I hope it is not too much worse... I am sure I'll be able to get it in tuine enough to be reasonably good to the wallet..
- EUNOS 30X -
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

I have the new mpg numbers in for my klze engine with a new setup. Using the 2.5 vaf and 2.5 ecu (mx6), 91 octane gas. 26 mpg - mostly highway. I think it might be a mpg more, I was a little late reseting the counter. Not too shabby. Im much happier with the mileage and performance over the old setup which worked like crap.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”