Anti-freeze

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
pelado

Anti-freeze

Post by pelado »

Is there a compatibility issue with some types of anti-freeze and water pump seals?<P>Water pump seal on my ZE went out within less than three months after the swap. I thought I might have tightened the drive belt too much but when I removed the leaky bastard there was no wobble at all to the shaft.<P>I'd like to ensure this won't happen again during my lifetime so if any of have any hints on how to make water pumps last, I'm all eyes!
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
lazzyie

Re: Anti-freeze

Post by lazzyie »

hmmm water pump should last very long time, the type of antifreeze you must use is ethylene-glycol based, hit the 50/50 with water and all should be good, or maybe ya didn't put the seal on right? Maybe the car dislikes you! Sorry man hope you have better luck!
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lazzyie:<BR><STRONG>hmmm water pump should last very long time, the type of antifreeze you must use is ethylene-glycol based, hit the 50/50 with water and all should be good, or maybe ya didn't put the seal on right? Maybe the car dislikes you! Sorry man hope you have better luck!</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thanks for the reply, but the water pump seal is on the shaft of the pump and I didn't touch it. <P>The anti'freeze I used was some of that environmentally and non-toxic to animals kinda stuff, the brand name is Sierra.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
andy

Post by andy »

Did you install a new or rebuilt pump?<BR> I don't know about the enviro friendly anti-freeze because I have never tried it.<BR> In the end, it sucks, hopefully you can at least get another pump under warranty.<BR> I know when I bought a replacement pump they had a rebuilt unit or a new one and I opted for the new one.<BR> better luck on the next pump.<P> Andy P.93 GS
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

From what I know only certain GM motors must have DEX-COOL approved coolant in them. Its also suppose to have an extended life, and its Orange not Green.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”