vaf?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
gtcustoms

vaf?

Post by gtcustoms »

what is a vaf and does my 93 gs have one?
i make exterior stuff u cant find
LiQuId

Re: vaf?

Post by LiQuId »

Volume AirFlow Sensor. Yes you have one.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

VANE airflow sensor<P><BR>You still have one.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
andy

Post by andy »

Your so "vane" :p <P>sorry I couldn't resist.<P>Andy P. 93 GS
Mike 94PGT

Post by Mike 94PGT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG>VANE airflow sensor<P><BR>You still have one.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I this application the 'V' stands for "volume", not vane.
Mike<BR>94 PGT <A HREF="http://home.golden.net/~trinity" TARGET=_blank>Codes, Maint, MAF, PCMs etc...</A><BR>Supermoderator, mx6.com
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike 94PGT:<BR><STRONG><P>I this application the 'V' stands for "volume", not vane.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Thank you for correcting yourself. <BR> :D <P>Vane sensors are the flapper type as used on a lot of cars, e.g., 90-95 Toyota MR2s, 90-93 Toyota Celicas, and many others.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

Actually, the factory calls it a MAF...but whatever.<P>Mason corrected me on that a few weeks ago.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
LiQuId

Post by LiQuId »

MAF is Mass airflow Sensor which is on the Protege and Probe 2.0L cars and many others.<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG>Actually, the factory calls it a MAF...but whatever.<P>Mason corrected me on that a few weeks ago.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LiQuId:<BR><STRONG>MAF is Mass airflow Sensor which is on the Protege and Probe 2.0L cars and many others.<P><BR> </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Pelado just said that "Vane" airflow meters were the flapper styles. Go nit-pick him.<P>My protege has a Flapper style VAF.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

They all measuer the Mass of the air entering the engine, they just do it in different ways.<P>The most common meaning of MAF is Mass Air Flow sensor and it usually refers to a hot wire type if sensor.<P><BR>just like MX-3's and cars. All MX-3's are cars but not all cars anr MX-3's<P>The VAF on the 1.8l v6 measures the both the volume of air and the temp of the air. the computer then can calculate the mass of the air entering the engine using the 2 readings and give it the right ammout of fuel.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG>Actually, the factory calls it a MAF...but whatever.<P>Mason corrected me on that a few weeks ago.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I guess the "factory" didn't write the shop manual.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
gtcustoms

Post by gtcustoms »

thanks u guys for clearing that up for me :D
i make exterior stuff u cant find
Mike 94PGT

Post by Mike 94PGT »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG>Actually, the factory calls it a MAF...but whatever.<P>Mason corrected me on that a few weeks ago.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not my 1994 MX6 shop manual nor my 1993 Probe shop manual. In fact, the MX6 manual goes a step further and calls it, in some cases, the "MC-VAF" or "measure core volume airflow sensor".<P>The only manual I've ever seen call it a "MAF" was a cheese-ball Haynes book. 'Nuff said.<P>And curt, they don't measure the same thing. If they did, my MAF sensor conversion on my PGT wouldn't have needed interim electronics performing a mass-to-volume conversion. As you note, the mass is a <I>calculated</I> parameter in this engine control system, not unlike speed/density systems that calculate mass rate through MAP, IAT, RPM and so on (although the MAP presents no impedance to the flow of air like the silly VAF does...)
Mike<BR>94 PGT <A HREF="http://home.golden.net/~trinity" TARGET=_blank>Codes, Maint, MAF, PCMs etc...</A><BR>Supermoderator, mx6.com
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike 94PGT:<BR>[QB]<P>And curt, they don't measure the same thing. If they did, my MAF sensor conversion on my PGT wouldn't have needed interim electronics performing a mass-to-volume conversionQB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Really? what dose the MAF measure? water flow? and the VAF measures what? oil flow?<P>I thought that they were both used to measure the amount of air that is going in to the combustion chamber, but they just do it differently. <P><BR>well I guess I was wrong :( <P><BR>Its always good to read the post and under stand it before you try to disprove it.<P>Again, They all do the same basic thing, they just do it in a different way.<P>One guy could kick you in the a-- with a steel toed boot and another guy could kick you in the a-- with a a running shoe, in the end you still get kicked in the a--.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

The 1993 Mazda MX-3 Shop manual refers to it as an Air Flow Meter, or AFM.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”