Looking to Buy - Some Questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Xero

Looking to Buy - Some Questions

Post by Xero »

I'm new to this site, as of today. I looked into buying a used(duh) '92 mx3 gs 5spd. Overlooking cosmetic issues, I have a couple questions that maybe some of you can answer for me. I need help deciding wether this car is kosher.<P>1. The biggest issue: When the car is in gear the shifter has a lot of side to side play. About 5 inches. The shift action feels alright, and the gates feel alright. The shifter just can be moved a lot. The guys suggested that maybe the previous owner installed a short throw kit. The shifter is the same stock legnth though.<P>2. The "ABS Brake" light was on, though they just got new rotors callipers and pads last week. Master cylinder? The Owner said it just needed to be taken to the dealer to be reset. BS?<P>3. The Last MX3 I looked at looked and felt fine, but my mechanic said it needed new struts all around. Any word on average life of these? That one had 92000 miles on it, but this one has 70k.<P>Otherwise it looks and feels alright, but I'm no mechanic. I test drove it and according to the speedometer it had heroic acceleration. But then I realized I was only going 80 Kilometers per hour. It's a canadian car in america.<P>Any advice or answers would be much appreciated.<P>T
-Only Two things are infinite, the universe, and human stupidity; and I am unsure of the former. -Albert Einstein
andy

Re: Looking to Buy - Some Questions

Post by andy »

If a loose shifter is your biggest concern than go for it. sounds like the shifter bushings have gone south. fairly easy and cheap fix.<BR> Not sure on the ABS brake light.<P> It probably wouldn't hurt to have struts after 70k but I'm not one to talk because mine are original at 117k.<P> There are bigger issues here than shifter bushings that should be asked first. at 70k it's time for a timing belt and/or a water pump. Next, has the distributor been replaced yet? Are the valve cover gaskets leaking? Hows the tread wear on the tires?<BR>whats the muffler looking like?<P> Does the previous owner have maintenance records for you to examine? frequent oil changes (3000 miles) are a big plus.<BR> Sorry I don't mean to scare you off but you should know all this before buying or making an offer.<BR> If you would like to get into more detail email me off line.<BR> Andy P. 93 GS
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

<A HREF="http://www.srdperformance.com" TARGET=_blank>www.srdperformance.com</A> <BR>get the bronsoil bushings if your using the OEM shifter.
Xero

Post by Xero »

It's got brand new tires(less than 1000 miles ago. He said he was wanting to replace the muffler, so instead of oem he got a "megaflow" muffler installed. It's not too boomy though, which is a plus. Still, the 2k-3k rpm drone is a bit much. He showed me the oil change receipts and seems pretty dilligent. He also said he replaced the spark plugs a month ago. Not sure what kind. I think I'm gonna take it into my local mechanic buddy to have it looked at tomorrow.
-Only Two things are infinite, the universe, and human stupidity; and I am unsure of the former. -Albert Einstein
andy

Post by andy »

everything sounds good so far, but keep in the back of your mind that the timing/water pump replacement is expensive and probably due within a year after purchase. The same goes for the distributor, they have a way of going bad after 80k.<BR> It would be a good idea for your friend to check the compresion, which would also let him know if the valve cover is leaking.<BR> If theres oil on the plugs when he pulls them out then, you've got a leaky valve cover gasket.<BR> Andy P. 93 GS
Xero

Post by Xero »

Just talked to my mechanic. They're gonna check the belts and water pump as well as compression and the struts tomorrow.<P>Thanks for all the help.<BR>T
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

if you have over 100K...<BR>common issues on a GS are...<BR>Compression.. check it<BR>Vaccume.. check it.<BR>Distributor < common problem<BR>Water pump < rare but common problem<BR>Axles and CVs < common problem<BR>if you have over 60K ask when the last time the timing belt was changed, recommended every 60K miles it needs to be changed. I changed mine @ 102k :)<BR>Fuel filter, oil, and PCV id change 1st.<BR>if you really want to know how they treated the car, check the radiator fluid, if it hadnt been flushed or its rusty looking, id start looking heavily at this car. Most people dont do it, and thats neglected alot of times. As mentioned as well, shocks probably need replacing, maybe the wires if OEM. If it has auto seatbelts and they failto work, its a Mazda recall and can be fixed for free in most cases.
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

with the shifter having a lot of play, try slowly tightening the bolt that connects the shifter to the shift linkage. if that loosens itll cause a lot of play from side to side.<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”