Timing belt questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
IceMole19

Timing belt questions

Post by IceMole19 »

I just recently got this 93GS to use for better mpg then my Rx-7. The previous owner said he doesn't think the timing belt has ever been changed, which I don't know about. The car has 160,000 miles and runs very strong, there is nothing wrong with the car what-so-ever.<P>1) Is this a big problem?<BR>2) Can you check the belt without taking 30 hours to dismantle everyting?<BR>3) How much is the average replacement run?<P>Any info would be great as I'm new to the timing belt thing, as most of you know rotarys lack this. Thanks guys.
lazzyie

Re: Timing belt questions

Post by lazzyie »

1) well timing belt isnt a huge problem like some engines cause k engines are noninterference so you wont have pistons slamming into the heads<BR>2) yes, it takes about 6-8 for a first timer, check the online shop manual for more info, if you are going to change it, change the water pump too<BR>3) belt is $30 on thepartsbin.com, or mazda charges 6 hours of work plus $70 for the belt
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
Mean_Machine

Post by Mean_Machine »

the mazda dealer here says that you should change it every 100,000km (60,000 miles) because the k8 wears the belts out fast. I don't know if this is true but i wouldnt wanna take the chance of messing up my engine for $30 i think its worth it [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]<BR>But at your local mazda dealer they should have a computerized service record of your car so you ask them to search it and see if it has actually had the belt replaced<p>[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: Mean_Machine ]
voltaire

Post by voltaire »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mean_Machine:<BR><STRONG>i wouldnt wanna take the chance of messing up my engine for $30 i think its worth it [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]<BR>But at your local mazda dealer they should have a computerized service record of your car so you ask them to search it and see if it has actually had the belt replaced<P>[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: Mean_Machine ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>-As said above, it is a non-interference engine. Getting it changed will prevent you from getting stranded somewhere and having to get the car towed, but the engine won't be wrecked.<P>-The only way the dealer will have the service record is of the car had previously been taken to the dealer for all repairs.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”