KLZE starting trouble....need help.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
David Coleman

KLZE starting trouble....need help.

Post by David Coleman »

So the KLZE is in. All hooked up, KL31 heads, curved neck manifold, etc. But it won't start. It will crank, but not fire. Fuel lines are hooked up correctly, as the plugs are wet. pulled the #2 plug and it arc'd to ground when it's cranked, so we have fuel. When I had the engine out of the car I installed a new timing belt, and got it timed spot on perfect, like to the millimeter. I can't for the life of me find my shop manual, and I'm just out of ideas. Does anybody have any helpful suggestions?<P><BR>Thanks all,
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
ghandi1981

Re: KLZE starting trouble....need help.

Post by ghandi1981 »

isnt there a shop manual online??? this place you got the engine from are they reliable cuz i want to get my engine from them.... [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] <P>AJ
resurected KL-ZE,ZE ECU, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, CMIII, home depot CAI, Hiflow Cat, 2 1/2" piping, exhaust, 2 MASS 2012's, Cadence A7, Blaupunkt Casablanca, and a no damn CEL light!!!
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

did you adjust the timing by the crank pulley mark alone, or by the cams also? if just by the crank pulley, you could be 180-out on the timing?<p>[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: cre8v mx3 ]
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghandi1981:<BR><STRONG>isnt there a shop manual online??? this place you got the engine from are they reliable cuz i want to get my engine from them.... [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] <P>AJ</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The online shop manual is for a 95, which has slight electrical difference from a 93.
David Coleman
ghandi1981

Post by ghandi1981 »

damn i have the exact same car as you and i wanted to get my engine from the same place...could it be a bad motor?? and the online shop manual wont work for the 93...damn...i need a new engine... :confused: <P>AJ
resurected KL-ZE,ZE ECU, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, CMIII, home depot CAI, Hiflow Cat, 2 1/2" piping, exhaust, 2 MASS 2012's, Cadence A7, Blaupunkt Casablanca, and a no damn CEL light!!!
ghandi1981

Post by ghandi1981 »

found this on ebay... <A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1848030542" TARGET=_blank>93 shop manual</A>
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Ok, swapped the K8's ISC to this TB, checked and made sure the disty was all ok [thanks Nuke], but the plugs are still soaked. It will almost run, when it's held wide open manually, but then chokes out and the plugs are swimming. What would cause this? It's SO close!
David Coleman
pelado

Post by pelado »

What ECU/VAF combo do you have?<P>Checked the adjustment of your TPS (95 manual should work for this)?<P>Did you replace your O2 sensors?<P>Got the vacuum hoses for your FPR connected correctly?<P>Are all of the plugs wet or just one bank?
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

dave---------call a-spec at 416-246-9949. They do these swaps daily.
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

K8 VAF/ECU. KLZE FPR and Injectors. All other K8 sensors. The car will run ok w/o the TPS right, though I'll fix that tonight too while I've got time. Stock O2's, though they're probably black and nasty now. Not pulling O2 codes, so they must be ok. :D<P>I feel bad making it breathe through stock 1.8L 1-7/8" OD exhaust...but it sure will surprise unsuspecting victims... :muhahahhahahaaha:<P>For having a car that doesn't run, I sure am psyched! <P>PINKPOWA!
David Coleman
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

haha,<BR>pink powa...<P>So, were you planning on getting a new ecu? Perhaps a programmed one, or a kl one?
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

The K8 ecu should be fine...
David Coleman
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Ok, time to simplify; my KLZE won't run because it has way too much fuel. <P>My setup:<BR>KLZE engine<BR>All K8 sensors and electronics except KLZE Knock Sensor and Injectors.<BR>stock fuel pump and fuel lines<BR>KLZE FPR on KLZE injectors and KLZE rail and KLZE mani<BR>ZFR6E-11 plugs gapped to 1.0mm<BR>Stock NGK K8 plug wires.<BR>K8 ISC [solenoid on the bottom of the TB]<BR>bypassed TB coolant lines<BR>pipe plug from K8 head in KLZE EGR port<BR>K8 disty [worked fine last time the K8 ran]<BR>K8 ECU/VAF [worked fine last time the K8 ran]<P>Engine stats:<BR>Good spark on all cylinders<BR>Good fuel to all cylinders [enough to soak the plugs]<BR>165-175psi compression on all cylinders<BR>Ignition timing set [#1 to TDC and disty rotor put @ #1]<P>What could cause such a huge amount of fuel? I've got Monday and Tuesday off to work on it, so I'm really open to anything at this point. If anybody wants to give a tired, frustrated soul a call, drop me a line and I'll send you my phone number. Or I'll give you a call...i'm open to anything at this point.<P>I'll test the injectors somehow tomorrow [hook em up to a 12V DC source to open right?] and see if I still have all the parts for my stockers around here....
David Coleman
white fish

Post by white fish »

sounds stupid but did you check to see if the sparkplug wires are hooked up correctly
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by white fish:<BR><STRONG>sounds stupid but did you check to see if the sparkplug wires are hooked up correctly</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yup. One of the first things I checked. I even talked to Barry and he went out and looked at his K8 disty just to make sure I had it right.
David Coleman

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”