Engine noise

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Franko
Supporting Member

Engine noise

Post by Franko »

When I am out of my car sometimes I can hear a "tick tick tick tick tick" sometimes it is there and othertimes it is not and when you rev the engine it just gets faster... what could this be? I heard it was a lifter for a valve or something but I just dont know... can anyone suggest anything?
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Len-Dogg

Re: Engine noise

Post by Len-Dogg »

Ya, lifters. Many people's car's including mine have a little lifter noise once the engine gets kinda old. It's not a big deal.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

yeah it does have 120 thousand miles on it (miles not k/m).. is there a way to get rid of that noise? I gotta replace the top pan gasket anyway because it leaks a little so I could do them both in one shot... do you think that it is worth replacing the engine.. with a dohc or something... I only got a sohc now... is it worth it?? what other mazda engine would fit in the car that would be better...??
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
quinn_seipp

Post by quinn_seipp »

I tried some of that high mileage oil and it seemed to have gone away :shrug: I usually don't believe in a fluid fixing a problem like that but the sound has gone away... Comes back when the car is cold though. Nothing too serious. Put a BPT in the thing and let'er buck, lol.
130 hp and 1000 horsepower strong, ;)

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”