A little 1.8L FYI

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
BigProbe

Re: A little 1.8L FYI

Post by BigProbe »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SE-Man:<BR><STRONG>I just verified with NAPA, they checked distributor kits and ther are two types! They said that on one type the cam is 3/4 an inch longer than the other. <P>The mechanic has already dumped the old engine, and Left head. so I can't get the numbers off of them.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hey Teri...<BR>o re: your website....<BR>You are saying you have (had?) 150 wjeel hp. Did you ever dyno? Also looks like you ran 15.0? sorta hard to read the site. Can you clearify?<P>o re: your weird heads....<BR>Am I reading this right? The cams from your OLD 1.8 won't fit on your NEW motor? Could it be your new heads are off a different model? Any reason you didnt just swap in a KLZE, instead of going to the trouble of making your tiny motor just a bit larger? <P>I work near the Headquarters Building on Fort Lewis...would love to check out your car, etc. Drop an email: closedpost@hotmail.com , and I'll get you my WORK email addy. <P>-d
Darin<BR>93 Probe GT<BR>242hp/256tq (wheel)<BR>Custom Intake<BR>93 Miata LE (#935 of 1500)<BR>102hp/92tq (PHEAR!)<BR>GReddy Catback<P>[This message has be edited by David Coleman (edited February 17, 2001).]
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SE-Man:<BR><STRONG>OK, I have the facts now. Theirs two mechanics working on my car, one has no experiance in import cars, and the main mechanic has been working on my car the last year. The main mechanic is deaf and has speach probs, the Info was past from him to the one with lesser experiance to me. I talked to the main mechanic today and pulled the engine out to get a full look at it. the Left Head is the only real differance. (K81A1 is the number on it) (Right head is K8101) And the Left side cams won't fit into it. I tryed and their about an inch shorter than the proper cam and the holding lip is in the back not the front but the heads lip braket is in the front. After further checking all the cams had the same number on them (K801). And what the main mechanic was try'n to pass on to me was on type of the Rocket Baby V6's was a Type MRX (basicly meaning the cams mirrored each other) so that on the MRX their is only two different types of cams, the intake and the exaust. No right or left head differance in the two. The other type's cams are different all around. I now have the other type and need to get the proper cams cuz my old one noe longer fits. Hope that made sence, i have pics now i'll try to develope them tomorrow.<P>Oh it was 2000 of these engines made in 93, not a total of 200 for all.<P>[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: SE-Man ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The standard K8DE, just like mine, has both K8101 and K81A1 heads. Mine too has the different cam sizes and holding lip in different locations. The front exhaust cam has the exhaust drive. There are 2 different distys, because they changed the internals of the KL01 in 95 to the KLY1 which has a slightly larger shaft and isn't as prone to the ignitor coil failure. <P>So the "MRX" motor has been junked eh? Too bad...<BR> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

From what the main mechanic told me, was the only differance in the two blocks were the years. They looked different to me?!? But their was nothing left of the old engine that was salvageable. The lip on my old Left Head was in the rear not the front, and the old cams are not long enought to fit in the new head. The reson i when larger 1.8 than a swap was to be more efficent with a turbo and NOS.... That and they just kinda fell in my hands for half the price of a swap.
BigProbe

Post by BigProbe »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SE-Man:<BR><STRONG> The reson i when larger 1.8 than a swap was to be more efficent with a turbo and NOS.... That and they just kinda fell in my hands for half the price of a swap.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>how is that going to be 'more efficient with a turbo + N2O"? <P>Small Motor + Turbo = 'x' hp<BR>Lager Motor + Turbo = 'XX' hp
Darin<BR>93 Probe GT<BR>242hp/256tq (wheel)<BR>Custom Intake<BR>93 Miata LE (#935 of 1500)<BR>102hp/92tq (PHEAR!)<BR>GReddy Catback<P>[This message has be edited by David Coleman (edited February 17, 2001).]
SE-Man

Post by SE-Man »

Well guys, i'm gonna feel a lil dumb tell'n ya this.... The machanics called me today and told me they found my old head and cams. What apperently happened was their was another engine being worked on at the same time by other mechanics. It was the mysterius MRX, well by mistake when they packed up their stuff they packed my head and left their head next to my old block. I had given the shop two extra right side cams.<BR>After the work was finished the assistant machanic was told to put it together, he pulled the numbers off the MRX's head and thats were the problems started. but today the owner of the MRX called up looking for the head and told them he had mine. The book or program that told the assistant how to hook up the parts don't have pics or tell the manufactuer only spects. Well the assistant told the main mechanic the both sets of right cams was the Left and right set, thats were the fitting part came in. The MRX has mirrored cams, and the main mechanic thought it was an MRX not a K8 he was puting together. But to top it all off the dumb@$$ that took my head wants me to pay the cost of replacing the disposed MRX head (not likely).<P>Well the reson i want the smaller engine is<BR>Small engine + turbo = +hp and less broken parts and a more stable street car<BR>Large engine + turbo = ++HP more broken parts and a less stable street car<P>If I wanted a draggster i'd have just put in a supedchevy 350 with a vett rear.
BigProbe

Post by BigProbe »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SE-Man:<BR><STRONG>Well the reson i want the smaller engine is<BR>Small engine + turbo = +hp and less broken parts and a more stable street car<BR>Large engine + turbo = ++HP more broken parts and a less stable street car<P>If I wanted a draggster i'd have just put in a supedchevy 350 with a vett rear.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Are you saying my 2.5L + Turbo isnt 'streetable' and brakes often? It's HARDER to make hp w/ a smaller motor...that equals more stress on the components, which are smaller, more fragile. :) But what's done is done. You should have a solid 180-200whp on your hands...fun in a light(er) car.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”