highest hp that can be acheived...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ProtegeSTS

Re: highest hp that can be acheived...

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nic Beique:<BR><STRONG>325hp is freaken fast, considering they're only about 2500pounds. Could a 325hp turbo-mx3 beat a stock twin-turbo supra? (both good drivers for example)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>if it got traction, it would eat a Supra for breakfast. Same amount of power and 800 less pounds and shorter gearing. Course, after 140, you're done.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><BR>There is not a 9 sec Del Sol daily driver in your town. To reach 9s, you MUST use wheelie bars, and you can drive around on the street with FWD wheelie bars, since they load up on the ground.<P>The fact that i can build a 500 hp Normally aspirated KL is my point. It will probably last 2-3 hours at most before it decides to explode. This isnt the ideal form of the motor to be put into a street car.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm not trying to piss anyone off but I'm just trying to illustrate how difficult (and expensive) it can be to go really fast.<P>As a point of reference to what it takes to run 9 second quarter miles I'll list some of the Castrol Syntec Braman Motorsports NIRA Pro-FWD 2000 Civic DX specifications:<P>Weight 1900 lbs<BR>Chrome-moly cage, full alum interior<BR>B18C block sleeved with custom Crower rods<BR>Inconel Ferrea valves, titanium retainers<BR>Braman custom camshafts, teflon coated pistons<BR>8 (count 'em EIGHT!!) 1600 CC/MIN injectors<BR>Holley 68 mm TB (answers the question of how big a TB does one really need)<BR>Haltech E6K engine management (fuel is methanol)<BR>Twin Weldon 2025 fuel pumps<BR>Two 110 psi fuel pressure regulators<BR>Twin MSD 7AL ignition coils<BR>Turbonetics turbo, 45 psi boost, no intercooler (methanol)<BR>Almost 1,000 whp in a 1900 lb car with wheelie bars and a custom F1 inspired suspension<BR>B-series trans case with custom Quaife gear set<BR>Fisher drag spool and multi-disk clutch<BR>Custom designed prototype drag slicks by Goodyear<BR>Sponsorship out the ying-yang (Castrol formulated special oil just for this vehicle)<BR>since none of the above can be accomplished on the cheap, not to mention paying the driver's, crew's, semi-driver's salaries and all the other costs of campaigning on the pro drag circuit.<P>This was in 2001, it was running consistently in the 9's and they were hoping to break into the 8's by this year.<P>Maybe we should be a little more reasonable as to our expectations of our modest (by comparison) modifications to our MX-3s.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><P><BR>Ryan....<P>There is not a 9 sec Del Sol daily driver in your town. To reach 9s, you MUST use wheelie bars, and you can drive around on the street with FWD wheelie bars, since they load up on the ground.<P>The fact that i can build a 500 hp Normally aspirated KL is my point. It will probably last 2-3 hours at most before it decides to explode. This isnt the ideal form of the motor to be put into a street car.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes there is. She has it boosted when she runs on the track, and turns it down when driving the streets. I've never met or talked to her, but I do see her driving every once in a while, and I have seen her race. She got low 10's when I saw her, but her best is in the 9's.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

fine Ryan. :(
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pelado:<BR><STRONG><BR>Holley 68 mm TB (answers the question of how big a TB does one really need)<BR></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>size of the throttle body needs to correlate to the intake manifold. Just going bigger is a bad idea. There is tuning involved.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><BR>size of the throttle body needs to correlate to the intake manifold. Just going bigger is a bad idea. There is tuning involved.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No doubt tuning is involved. My comment on the TB was quite brief and was just meant to point out (to those that have followed previous discussions on TB size) that a 1000 whp 2.0 liter engine can use a 68mm TB, therefore a monster TB is totally unnecessary on a 160-180 whp 2.5L engine.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pelado:<BR><STRONG><P>No doubt tuning is involved. My comment on the TB was quite brief and was just meant to point out (to those that have followed previous discussions on TB size) that a 1000 whp 2.0 liter engine can use a 68mm TB, therefore a monster TB is totally unnecessary on a 160-180 whp 2.5L engine.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Which isnt exactly true. Given the shape and size of the K series intake manifolds, it might be VERY beneficial to use a larger throttle body. Its not just an output thing.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
DDO49

Post by DDO49 »

Say i was to do the swap for the ZE, what is the cheapest way to get it to where I can easily keep up with 5.0 GT's? Also to keep it on street use (daily driver)
G-Force body kit, 17 inch TSW's, custom sterio and soon swap for KLZE
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DDO49:<BR><STRONG>Say i was to do the swap for the ZE, what is the cheapest way to get it to where I can easily keep up with 5.0 GT's? Also to keep it on street use (daily driver)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Nitrous
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><BR>Which isnt exactly true. Given the shape and size of the K series intake manifolds, it might be VERY beneficial to use a larger throttle body. Its not just an output thing.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> :roll: <BR>No one said a larger TB would NOT be beneficial, did they? I merely said a monster (meaning very, very big) TB was unnecessary. I wasn't trying to get into a discussion of why/how/what TB size is determined. <P>I agreed with you that tuning was needed but you must be shopping for an argument since you obviously want to find something wrong with what I say. Fine, you can play word games with someone else, I'm outta this thread.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pelado:<BR><STRONG><P> :roll: <BR>No one said a larger TB would NOT be beneficial, did they? I merely said a monster (meaning very, very big) TB was unnecessary. I wasn't trying to get into a discussion of why/how/what TB size is determined. <P>I agreed with you that tuning was needed but you must be shopping for an argument since you obviously want to find something wrong with what I say. Fine, you can play word games with someone else, I'm outta this thread.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>sorry man, didnt mean to piss you off there. I mis-read your intent.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
ikedogg

Post by ikedogg »

i think i remember reading that the stock throttle body on the 1.6 sohc was 60mm and could safely be overbored to 65mm....would this be at all beneficial to an engine with only an intake and 2.0" exhaust set up?
and konstantine is walking down the stairs...
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ike92gs:<BR><STRONG>i think i remember reading that the stock throttle body on the 1.6 sohc was 60mm and could safely be overbored to 65mm....would this be at all beneficial to an engine with only an intake and 2.0" exhaust set up?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>I dont think anyone has tried it....but id doubt that a 60mm is any sort of flow hinderance on an 1.6L engine not pushing the limits.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
ikedogg

Post by ikedogg »

maybe i'll give it a whirl just for fun [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
and konstantine is walking down the stairs...

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”