Oil light flickering?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MAZDASPEED STEVE

Oil light flickering?

Post by MAZDASPEED STEVE »

After I drive my 2.5L long and hard, when I come to a stop and the car is idling the oil light begins to flicker.<BR>I think it could have something to do with the position of my air intake, cause it's right beside the engine and right in front of the cooling fan sucking in REALLY HOT air!<BR>Could it be that the oil is getting too hot and reducing the oil pressure? :( <BR>I do plan on getting another electric fan, and move the air filter into the wheel well.<BR>I don't think it could be the oil pump cause a new one was put in when the engine was rebuilt.
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
pelado

Re: Oil light flickering?

Post by pelado »

Only way to be sure is to install an oil pressure gauge, even a temporary gauge wired to a windshield wiper, anything to read actual pressure would help.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Thalaric

Post by Thalaric »

A quick cheap possible fix could be replacing your oil pressure sensor. Just before I noticed I had almost no oil in my MX-3, the oil light was doing the same. Check out the thread "Oil Pressure Switch" in this very forum for some info on how to do it.<P>Hope that solves it...
Bobby Talaber<BR> aka<BR> Thalaric<BR>'93 MX-3 V6 GS <BR>w/insane custom modifications
MAZDASPEED STEVE

The oil level is fine I check it constantly. If I do get a guage, and it does show low pressure, what do I do next?
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
pelado

Post by pelado »

Time for a rebuild? <P>You tell me, how long will you let your engine run with extremely low oil pressure? Until it seizes?
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
MAZDASPEED STEVE

I just Had my 2.5L rebuilt! :eek: It doesn't even have 1000kms on it yet, they said they put in a new oil pump in when they did it? It only does this at idle-which is low/below norm-when I give it a bit of gas or put it in neutral it goes away.<BR>My guess would be to let it heat up and adjust the idle somehow maybe with the TPS?<BR>Any suggestion? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”