2.25 or 2.5" upgrading K8 Exhaust

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
CanadianMx-3

2.25 or 2.5" upgrading K8 Exhaust

Post by CanadianMx-3 »

I have a K8 and have a subtle sound from my exhaust. I want to upgrade and make it roar. I know its a V6 and should need a large pipe however, its still less than a 2.0L. Should I upgrade tp 2.5" or 2.25" I dont want to create some huge a$$ backpressure. I would like to know what is the optimum size. What is the factory spec.?
Dedicated SR20 SLUT
RayRay

Re: 2.25 or 2.5" upgrading K8 Exhaust

Post by RayRay »

A lot of the people here would say this much:<P>- no more than 2.25" for the 1.8L<BR>- no more than 2.5" for the 2.5L<P>But then again its your car and $$$.<P>I personally have a custom 2.25" catback.
2005 Nissan 350z
1990 Mustang GT - [sold]
1992 Mx-3 GS - [sold]
CanadianMx-3

Post by CanadianMx-3 »

Do you know what the stock pipe size is?
Dedicated SR20 SLUT
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

piping dosen't make it roar the muffler does....I'm not sure but I think it's like 2 inches
Steve
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Stock piping is a smidge under 1-7/8".
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
ZUNE MX-3 Gs

Post by ZUNE MX-3 Gs »

Is there any calculation that would theorically give the ideal diameter of tubing for the headers and cat back tubing? Where I can found a good on-line source for thermodynamic and fluidodynamic calculations on a four-stroke engine?
BE FAST!!!
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZUNE MX-3 Gs:<BR><STRONG>Is there any calculation that would theorically give the ideal diameter of tubing for the headers and cat back tubing? Where I can found a good on-line source for thermodynamic and fluidodynamic calculations on a four-stroke engine?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No.<P>Search this board.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
ZUNE MX-3 Gs

Post by ZUNE MX-3 Gs »

-What´s the meaning of that "NO"?<P>-A: "Sorry but I don´t know if there is any page that may interest you"<P>-B: "Sorry but there isn´t any page related to these topics"
BE FAST!!!
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZUNE MX-3 Gs:<BR><STRONG>-What´s the meaning of that "NO"?<P>-A: "Sorry but I don´t know if there is any page that may interest you"<P>-B: "Sorry but there isn´t any page related to these topics"</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>C. Sorry, there is no calculation to give you the "idea" pipe size for your engine. I posted some links to some thermo sites some time back but I don't feel like finding them again for someone that asks a tired question like this one and appeared to not use the search option before posting.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
ZUNE MX-3 Gs

Post by ZUNE MX-3 Gs »

man, I DO use the search option, and if you think that any question doesn´t deserve to be answered, JUST DON´T SAY NOTHING!! :mad:<P>Anyone else know any site that may help me in expand my knowledge on thermodinamycs and/or Fluidumdinamycs? (It doesn´t matter the languaje)
BE FAST!!!
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZUNE MX-3 Gs:<BR><STRONG>man, I DO use the search option, and if you think that any question doesn´t deserve to be answered, JUST DON´T SAY NOTHING!! :mad:<P>Anyone else know any site that may help me in expand my knowledge on thermodinamycs and/or Fluidumdinamycs? (It doesn´t matter the languaje)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Dood, don't worry about pelado. He's a fucker that thinks he's a moderator. <P>I would go to a search engine and search for it. If that doesn't work find different automotive forums, (i.e. probetalk.com, mx6.com, mx-5.com, hondamod.com, hondahookup.com, cardomain.com, etc) and post your question on there. Also check some domestic forums too. Hope you get your questions answered dood.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
CanadianMx-3

Post by CanadianMx-3 »

Anyways, Im hearing that the 2" exhaust is the best route to go.
Dedicated SR20 SLUT
ZUNE MX-3 Gs

Post by ZUNE MX-3 Gs »

Thank you very much for your reply Vizual! :). I wish that everyone in this forum would be at least half as kind as you are! That´s the way a bulletin board should be!. I didn´t know any of these webs (except from Probetalk), so I will throw an eye on them to see what I can find out, and I will post everything that comes out from my findings in other sources and books that may help us in Exhaust performance.
BE FAST!!!
pelado

Post by pelado »

You'll get a response similar to mine if you post on probetalk, especially if you post in the performance forum. If you look beyond the sympathy, you'll see that visual gave you pretty much the same answer as I did. If you look in the dictionary between s--- and sympathy, you'll find visualxtc.
T Biller

Post by T Biller »

A little larger may give you some top end too large will just loose you your bottom end. There are figures based on how much HP you create, but I couldn't tell you what they are. I remember reading them when I was into Austin Mini tuning. You see within a certain margin, it takes a given amount of fuel and air to create a given amount of HP. The margin being efficiency mostly. Personaly for a street car I would stay on the small side because a road car with zero bottom end sucks and the high end gains are probably marginal. having a high quality, high flow for size cat and muff. is more important.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”