Locking steering wheel

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mazdaboy85

Locking steering wheel

Post by mazdaboy85 »

Help please. My steering wheels locks, and it takes me like 15 minutes to finially get my key turned. I have to try to giggle the wheel and turn the key. this is a pain and it just started doing this today. What do i do to fix this. Again my key wont turn to start the car. I have tried to see if the key got messed up, and it isnt. My spare does the same. Anyone else had this problem?

Re: Locking steering wheel

Post by Guest »

IF IT IS WHAT I THINK IT IS , THEN STOP TURNING YOUR WHEEL BEFORE YOU TURN THE CAR OFF AND DON'T TURN IT BEFORE YOU START THE CAR. WHAT I BELIEVE IT IS IS AN ANTITHEFT DEVICE
RiP401k

Post by RiP401k »

I feel your pain, but i called a lock smith out when i havs that problem once. He laughed at me and he said to me, when i park the car, most imports wheels, must be straight.<P>Since then, i have had no problems.
nicolasbeique

Post by nicolasbeique »

Just don't move your steering wheel around when your car is off and you shouldn't have any problems. Your keys are fine so don't change them!<P>It happens to me when I work on my car (change stuff on my dash, stereo, etc...) and I keep moving the steering wheel, it just locks! Everyone tells me that its just an error mazda made, but I love my mx-3 too much to admit that!!! ;) <P>Remember, its always your fault, never the mx-3's!
<A HREF="http://www.spheregraphics.com/" TARGET=_blank>Image</A>
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

Ehh It's no error. It's (like somebody said) and anti theft devise. Dont turn your steering wheel while the key is not in the slot. It's because even if theifs hotwire the car, the wheels will lock in one position when they try to drive without the key, making it kinda hard to get away. It's pretty standart over here in europe (I actuallt cant of a car here who doesn't have it.. except imported US-cars :)
Justin Evans

Post by Justin Evans »

Usually all you have to do is wiggle the steering wheel a bit while turning the key, every once in a while you may have to turn the key around (don't ask me why but it works for me)! Best bet is to just try not to turn the wheel after shutting off the car, cause it will lock every time and it can be a pain, especialy if your in a hurry.
Quartermaster92Y@hotmail.com
***DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!!***
vuduben

Post by vuduben »

if the wheel locks after you have turned the engine off, it is an anittheft thing. all you have to do is pull the wheel to the left i think, (it should only go a bit) an start turning the key, the wheel should pop loose. <P>about turning the key the other way , that is because mazda made their keys from a soft metal and they are long and so they bend easily, i have to turn mine around to lock my car... it only works if the key is in one way... oh well <P><BR>vuduben :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”