code reader or scanner

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
tyson

code reader or scanner

Post by tyson »

Hello everyone,<P>I just want to say once again how helpful this site is.<BR>Now for my question I am wondering where can I get a tool to read engine codes and how much do they cost. I've been told by a few parts stores that they don't sell simple code readers for mx-3's. Only like twenty or thirty thousand dollar computers. So if anyone could be of assistance on exactly what I would call this tool and where to get one it would be appreciated. Also would a ford code reader work?One more question does the engine light need to be on for the scanner to work?<P>Now I have good and bad news. Good news is the ticking in my car was very loud even after the last couple of oil changes. However after switching to 0w30 non synthetic oil(I was too cheap for synthetic) the ticking went away. It did however take about a week to notice.<BR>Now the bad news is I took my car through aircare today and it failed because of the hydrocarbon level. This is why I want to see if my car is putting out any helpful codes.<P>Thanks for any help or advice Tyson.
valkyire

Re: code reader or scanner

Post by valkyire »

hey i had the same question and here's what i found out. (it was helpful) just check the FAQ forum for Check Engine Light info. hope it helps you also :D<p>[ May 27, 2002: Message edited by: valkyire ]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”