Engine Ticking..

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mx3Mazda

Engine Ticking..

Post by Mx3Mazda »

Ok, well i test drove the GS yesterday, and i am getting a tick from the engine.. is this common?.. what should i look for/test? thanks<BR>kendal
Andrew_Pakula

Re: Engine Ticking..

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

maybe it is low on oil
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Check out the cam friction gear and HLA posts in the FAQ forum
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Q187

Post by Q187 »

Top the oil off and see if that helps.
mmac
Supporting Member

Post by mmac »

when i went round test driving mx3's before buying I found that virtually all the cars had a ticking noise at idle, that went away when engine was warmed up. In fact mine does as well and its never caused any actual problems.
1994 MX-3 ZE
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Ticking could be a couple of things based on my experience and reading stuff here.<P> 1) could be 'regular' valve/lifter noise that is common in this engine, ESPECIALLY if the oil is down at all.. I used to notice this on my MX3GS all the time when the oil was getting down near the 'add a quart' line on the stick. It 'ticks' a little all the time, but it was significantly more prounced when the oil was getting low (usually my signal that I'm due for a change, since I seemed to burn about a quart/litre between changes. <P> 2) if it's slightly louder than above, seems to come from near cylinder #1, and goes away above 2000 RPM then it's probably the friction gear. apparently this is a PITA to change, so most folks just live with the noise and fix things when replacing the timing belt since you gotta do nearly the same things to get to both items. <P> 3) If it's louder than that, and doesn't go away at higher rpm's, you probably want an experienced mazda mechanic to listen to it.. That's currently what MY motor sounds like, (Mechanic said "don't drive it, replace the motor" ;< ) which is why you'll see me asking lots of questions about swapping to a 2.5L since that's my current planned 'solution' to my problem.
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”