Top Speed?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions

Re: Top Speed?

Post by Guest »

man, i doubt you got that high...
MAZDASPEED STEVE

Post by MAZDASPEED STEVE »

WELL, before my 2.5 blew up in smoke I was able to do 140km/hr at 3-3500rpm. I have pushed my 1.8L upto 180km/hr on the 401, but slowed down for fear of my life and others. :D
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

like a month after i originally purchase the car the tranny failed. The wonderful people at Springfield Toyota elected rather than to replace with another 1.8 to refurb an auto from a 1996 mx-6 they had recently received back because the engine went. I had to wait another 2 months to drive the car again (between waiting on the tranny & t/c upgrade), i drove for 300 miles or so, and the hold light flashed. So i took it back yet again and they said they had to replace the ecu to accomidate. at the time i knew crap about cars, so i didnt ask for much detail, all i knew was i was getting a stronger tranny for 50 bucks. Have had no problems since.<P>Sorry i couldnt be of more assistance [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]<P>As for chance, there's no way you hit 150 in a stock gs whether its auto or manual... unless of course you threw it off a cliff.<p>[ June 03, 2002: Message edited by: Sonicxtacy02 ]
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
chance

Post by chance »

I will admit to being on a slight decline but it waasn't that severe. 140 has been hit many times on level roads. As for the car being stock or not I'm really not sure. I have done nothing to it as of yet and I have found no evidence that the previous owner did. And yes, the speedometer was nearly pinned at just over 150 MPH.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

ok details please, what stretch of road did you take your mx to 150. How far did it take you to build that up. do you realize that there are turbo'd/supercharged cars out there that have no such claim, yet you say you do it all the time. Is your car an auto or a stick? either way you have several factors that limit your top speed to ~130~ in stock form. There's your gears, rev, tires, ecu.<P>I realize that youre new to the list but take some advice from people who have been around for awhile, you didnt hit 150mph.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

I just finished my KL-ZE and it hauls!! :D
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.

Post by Guest »

i dunno chance, there has to have been stuff done to your car, there is no way you could get goin that fast without say bigger rims or sumthin, i would say with an intake and exhaust going downhill with the wind behind you and then MAYBE you will get goin that fast, maybe your speedo is off...
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

Hmmm The other night when I was driving home from work I took my 92 (It's the 1.8 V6 engine. I cant remember what it is called in the states) to 180 km/hour fairly easy and the only modifications on the car is a KN airfilter :) The only reason I didn't go faster was that the cops would take my driverlicence if they caught me passing 188 km/hour limit, so I actually think that you aught to be able to go faster even with an automatic transmission. :D
chance

Post by chance »

My car is a stick. There may be mods done that I don't know of, but other then there being goodyear rubber and NGK wires everything else on the car seems to be identicale to any other GS. The speedometer may be off but it still read around 152. My brother was with me and he claims the same thing. I never claimed I hit 150 more then once. 140 has happened many times but once I pushed it a little further.
mattster

Post by mattster »

Do the math!<P>---------------------------------------------<BR>With MX3 <B>5-speed Transmission</B> (4.388 FD) and 22.5" wheel/tire combo:<P>7000 (RPM) / .8 (5-gear Ratio)=<BR>8750 (RPM) / 4.388 (Final Ratio)=<BR>1994 (RPM) x 60 =<BR>119644.5 (Rounds Per Hour) x 70.65 (22.5 x 3.14 tire diameter)=<BR>8452883.9 (Inches per Hour) / 12 =<BR>704407 (Feet per Hour) / 5280 =<P><B>133.5 MPH @ Redline 7000 RPM</B><BR>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<P>So in conclusioin 133.4 MPH is the top speed (@7000 RPM redline) for an absolutely stock MX3 GS with a 5-speed. And this is considering the fact that it has enough power to get it there. Now Chance... to go 150 MPH, your engine would have to be revving at 7870 RPM (i'd say that more than "a little over Redline") are you sure about this or maybe were you exaggerating just a little bit [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]. And just to let you guys know with the other final gear ratio (4.11) found in various cars the top speed at redline is 142.5 MPH @7000 RPM.<p>[ June 04, 2002: Message edited by: mattster ]
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
chance

Post by chance »

I did say it was over 7000 RPMs and it was going down hill. But hey, maybe I read the numbers wrong. I wasn't concentrating on the gauges too much.
C-MX-DA3

Post by C-MX-DA3 »

yo!curtklze, so you finally did your swap,How is the car? You must be burnin some hondas ha?
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

My engine makes 125 LBS of torque from 2000<BR>to 6300 rpms (at the wheels). with a peak of 150 at 4800. passing cars on the highway at 100 kph in fifth gear is as easy as steping on the gas. The RSX type s makes 145 LBS of torque (at the engine!) When I get the exhaust and intake done they shouldnt be much of a problem :D
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.

curtklze

Post by curtklze »

There is a sure fire way to stop the debate on the 150MPH thing.<P>Chance what is your tach(RPM) reading when you are doing 75 MPH in fifth gear.<P>If you are telling the truth you wont be afraid to tell us.<P>The we can simply multiply the RPMs by 2 to find out what your tach whould be reading at 150 MPH. :D <P>for example if my engine revs at 3200 rpms when I do 100KPH(63MPH). So my RMPs at 200KPH (126MPH) would be 6400. :D
Yes, I AM a bastard

chance

Post by chance »

I will gladly tell you but it will have to wait a couple of days. I had a little fender bender but its almost back together.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”