anyone ever tried a (real) k&n replacement filter ??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jfbourgault

anyone ever tried a (real) k&n replacement filter ??

Post by jfbourgault »

I need to know if any of you have ever used a replacement K&N filter in your air box?<BR>I mean the replacement one, the one that fits in the stock air box( i saw the part model on k&n's web site)<P>did you notice a difference in throtle response and a sound improvement?<P>p.s I've had 2 cone filters on the car, but the were sucking more power than making any because of the hot air it was inhaling, also it was burning way to much oil, probably because of the heat, I took em' off and the oil consumption dropped dramaticly(I could see the oil burning out of the exhaust on very hot summer days), I know I could make a homemade intake, but it would be a b---- for the winter as it would be sucking in to much grime, slush and other kinda crap! :cool:
92 mx-3 GS .greeeeeeeen!<BR>Honda !!!, what do you mean Honda??<BR>Oh sorry, you meant that piece of crap parked next to my car! oh sorry again, I meant to say lawnmower....
Stevekowalchuk

Re: anyone ever tried a (real) k&n replacement filter ??

Post by Stevekowalchuk »

I had the KN drop in for a while and noticed some minimal low end power increases. I then made my own intake and the filter goes all the way to the fender and down just a bit but is still technically in the engine compartment. I then relocated the coolant res. to between the intake pipe and the rad just before the filter. I then removed the little rubber strip above the headlight for some more cold air. my intake is cool after a decent drive.......... not much hot air. Alot better power gains and sound.
jfbourgault

Post by jfbourgault »

how much did the k&N cost ya? in cnd $ ( I see you live in Edmonton)
92 mx-3 GS .greeeeeeeen!<BR>Honda !!!, what do you mean Honda??<BR>Oh sorry, you meant that piece of crap parked next to my car! oh sorry again, I meant to say lawnmower....
Stevekowalchuk

Post by Stevekowalchuk »

$60
back alley

Post by back alley »

60 bucks?<BR>where? i've seen them for close to $90, also in edmonton<p>[ May 09, 2002: Message edited by: back alley ]
dylanmx3

Post by dylanmx3 »

I was in for about $90 CDN for mine at Canadian Tire...noticed abit of low end but that was about it...I pulled the snorkel off and noticed way more increase, but I didn't have a place to mount my hood prop and I drive about 120kms round trip to work and the increased sound was wearing my nerves. I just finished a ATX ->MTX swap and now that I have the room I'll be doing a cold air intake. I'll probably swap it back in the winter...not much point in racing in the ice n' snow
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

i have a friend selling a k&n universal cone filter for $50 plus $10 shipping.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Stevekowalchuk

Post by Stevekowalchuk »

I used to own two of the shops in edmonton. 60-90 is average. As for Dylan. Remove the snorkel and drill the rivits out of the prop bracket and re-mount it under the hood with the original bolt.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”